How many chickens can you have?

Pics
I have 12 hens,1 pullet, 1 cockerel, and 1 rooster. I also have five ducks who are currently sleeping in a large stock tank at night, my family and I are going to start working on the duck house very soon. I may not be correct, but I don’t think there are any limits in Hawaii on how many birds you can keep.
I’ve been to Hawaii once and love the wild chickens everywhere. 🤪 Are you going to have the ducks and chickens together during the day foraging ?

I’ve been to Hawaii once and love the wild chickens everywhere. 🤪 Are you going to have the ducks and chickens together during the day foraging ?
I actually just made a enclosed run for the chickens, and I am still not sure if I am going to free range the ducks yet... the parents are getting tired of the poops all over the place. :gig
So I’m not entirely sure yet!

My limit is around 50 lol. That’s about the max my coop can hold. I live in the country with plenty of space to range so my only real limits are with coop spacing. I don’t want 50 birds though. Currently I have 13 adult birds and 22 4 week old chicks and that’s about the max I have the time to care for. I won’t be keeping all the chicks either simply because I don’t have room for the roosters.

Rules? Guidelines? Ordinance? :lau :oops::gig:lau:lol:🌴:cool:

We are rural and it is a bit of a ridiculous ordinance for my area, so more of a guideline that I blew waaaaay past years ago as have most my neighbors in one way or another. No one has complained to my face lol. Oh, I forgot, we have like a zillion wilds chickens everywhere... so county does not have a leg to stand on and neither do any complaints.

We can only have 4 hens here in the city where I live. I got 4 2 day old chicks 2 years ago, but I had to re-home 1 because she was a he. I would like to replace him but you really can't get only 1, so I might have to push the envelope & become an outlaw. I'd like to move back into the country and have quite a few more

We have the following rules for
HOBBY CHICKEN FARMERs

There are requirements for keeping chickens. What is important here is where the boundary lies between hobby and commercial livestock farming.

HOW MANY CHICKENS CAN A HOBBY FARMER HAVE?
As long as you don't keep more than 250 chickens, you can consider yourself a hobby chicken keeper. The municipal General Local Ordinance may specify whether or not you may keep roosters in built-up areas. Check this with your own municipality.

DO I HAVE TO REGISTER AS A HOBBY FARMER?
If you keep your chickens to yourself only, you don't have to sign up your animals. If you want to go to inspections and exhibitions, you have to registrate the animals. Rings are available from various suppliers, breeding associations and online.

SELL EGGS
Anyone who wants to sell their chicken eggs at home must apply for a chicken number. This is possible after registration. Your hen number is printed on the stamp on the eggs. You may not sell unstamped eggs.

LAW ANIMALS
Everyone who keeps animals falls under the Animal Act. It describes how to treat your animals, in life and death. In addition, the Animal Keepers Decree regulates many other matters, such as how often you can exhibit an animal, floor areas per animal and so on.

SPACE
These are regulations for farmers, I suppose the same rules apply for hobby chickens.
*** In the Netherlands, the guidelines for organic chickens in terms of space are clear: 9 chickens per square meter (and 36 square meters outside).
4 m2 outside for every chicken
** Free-range chickens (2 stars): they run with 12 chickens per square meter (+ 12 square meters outside).
1m2 run space for every chicken.
* Free-range chickens kept inside (1 star) have the same amount of space indoors, but cannot forage outside.

Back
Top Bottom