How many chickens can you have?

Pics
No limit here
Have 5 acres keep 10 girls in the “coop deville “ they free range for HOURS everyday & are spoiled rotten 🙄

Attachments

• B9F7B83E-0B5F-474C-9EFA-40BF4A703098.jpeg
    B9F7B83E-0B5F-474C-9EFA-40BF4A703098.jpeg
    929.9 KB · Views: 4
Hi everyone!!!
🙃

I know there’s different rules depending on where you live. I was wondering if you guys have the max amount of chickens allowed in your area, or more or less?

🦀🦓🐛🦖🪲
We live in a rural farming community. So we have no restrictions on types or numbers of livestock. Our place is considered a small modern homestead. We raise a lot of our own food. Plus we generate income by selling fresh meat, eggs and produce. Between our laying flock (100 hens) and the other breeds we raise. We normally have about 150 chickens. In the spring with our meat birds and new hatchlings. We have around 300 to 400 on hand.

Hi everyone!!!
🙃

I know there’s different rules depending on where you live. I was wondering if you guys have the max amount of chickens allowed in your area, or more or less?

🦀🦓🐛🦖🪲
As many as I as a would like. I've got other animals too, horse, goat, llamas, donkeys, cows, cats, dogs, chickens, a goose, a pig, and a parrot.

In towns there are often restrictions but the police doesn’t bother as long as there are no complaints.

This is what they say about keeping chickens in a town ;

Noise nuisance

Before you take chickens you have to look in the General Local Regulation . Roosters are regularly prohibited, but chickens are allowed in the city. As long as these chickens do not cause a nuisance. It is best to avoid problems with the neighbors and not take a rooster. Roosters regularly crow at night and in the early morning. Few neighbors can appreciate this of course.

My comment: as long as the neighbors are okay with you having a rooster or having a small flock of chickens there are no problems. I live in a city on just ⅛ acre of land and most neighbours don’t mind the noises of the flock at all. Only the roosters I had , had to go because they got too loud in spring (sunrise early in the morning.

There was one interesting case in a nearby village where the police asked the owner to reduce the noise in the evening and in the night :
Source: https://aensblog.nl/kraaiende-hanen-wanneer-sprake-van-onrechtmatige-hinder/ google translate:

Crowing roosters: when is there unlawful nuisance? :
Crowing roosters quickly cause nuisance and nuisance. The question is when keeping crowing roosters is an unlawful nuisance. Only then can action be taken against the holder by a neighbor who is experiencing nuisance. He then has the choice to ask the municipality to take enforcement action (administrative law) or to ask the judge to prohibit or restrict the keeping of roosters (civil law). In this judgment, the civil court ruled that the nuisance experienced differs from person to person and is subjective. That is why it can only be tested against objective standards. The standard used by the municipality does not automatically serve as a starting point, but it is an indication. The case A resident of Rheden has been keeping bantam roosters and chickens in a chicken coop in his backyard since 2012. A neighbor is bothered by the crowing rooster. His garden is more than 20 meters from the hen house. He therefore asks the municipality to take enforcement action. The municipality is conducting extensive research and finds in 2013 that the bantam roosters crowed 159 times and that the cock of the keeper sounds louder than other roosters in the area. The municipality then indicates that on the basis of article 4: 14A paragraph 2 of the General Local Bylaws Rheden (APV), it is prohibited to keep animals in such a way that causes nuisance or damage to a neighbor or the environment. Furthermore, the Industrial Noise and Licensing Guide (VROM, October 1998) applies in the context of the Noise Nuisance Act. It follows from this that the noise levels may be a maximum of 70dB (A) during the day, 65 DB (A) in the evening and 60dB (A) at night. It is then agreed with the keeper that the rooster with the chickens must be in a soundproof and light-proof pen between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. That is not enough for the neighbor because in 2013 he asks for enforcement. The municipality rejects that. Measurements show that the average of the shark crow is 52 dB (A) and therefore below the maximum standard of 70dB (A).

There are no rules where I live, but I prefer to keep it to below 15, just because I get stressed and worried if there is an outbreak or something I don’t want a million chickens that I have to treat :lol: also my coop holds about that many, and I’d rather them have more space than less, especially since on occasion I’ll put them in the coop early/for the day for whatever reason and I like them to have lots of space. I only have 9 chickens right now, and three are roosters (don’t worry, the young ones are separate) so I need to get some more, but sadly that will have to be in August. So far away! :(

Back
Top Bottom