How many chickens can you have?

I live in the city so my max is 8 birds of any kind (chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys) and no roosters
Currently have 6 hens and 6 pullets and I’m getting ducks either later this summer or next spring
Your max is 8, you have 12, and your getting more. Kind of living on the edge, aren't we? I was told that the limits will only be enforced if there is a complaint. So if you treat your birds and your most obnoxious neighbors well, you should be fine.

yeah its a great number, however I do want to add in a few marans and gray egg layers!
Update: we got 2 welsummers yesterday! So that means 16 chickens now
We can have as many as we want, but our coop can only fit around 15. We have 14.
i love how they are autosexing so we may get a few more tomorrow, I just realized how much I miss raising chicks AND how friendly they are compared to quail!!!

Attachments

• A0B6CFFA-7CC6-4F79-A06A-0CFCCFA36403.jpeg
    A0B6CFFA-7CC6-4F79-A06A-0CFCCFA36403.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 1
  • D471454C-0633-48BA-A6AC-4BECA49AD614.jpeg
    D471454C-0633-48BA-A6AC-4BECA49AD614.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 1
I have to measure my new coop, but I think I could hold 15 if I let them free range part of the time. My coop has 5 nesting boxes and is pretty spacious. The run is moderate size, but could be bigger. I currently have 8 chickens (not yet full grown)

We don’t have a simple answer like that. No official max numbers as long as its not > 250. This number is meant for people who are homesteading/ make money on the side. Not for city folks.

There are very strict restrictions on buildings/sheds in the garden including coops and roofed runs.

And there is a general rule, if they are noisy, if they stink, if they cause pests like rats, or if they look neglected you’re neighbours can complain. And the someone will come to ‘judge’ if you’re setup and numbers are allowed. So if you have interfering neighbours living close, the less chickens you can have.

Anyway for me it’s not the rules that count. It’s keeping a healthy and mentally sane flock. And having a good relation with all my neighbours.

Your max is 8, you have 12, and your getting more. Kind of living on the edge, aren't we? I was told that the limits will only be enforced if there is a complaint. So if you treat your birds and your most obnoxious neighbors well, you should be fine.
Yeah we have a big coop and yard and we kinda bribe are neighbors with eggs

Back
Top Bottom