How many chickens did you start off with?

I started with 12 and lost one. When it was time for them to move out of the brooder I got 8 more, a week later 4 more, another week went by and got 4 more, then 1 more EE was left so I got her too- total 28.
ya.gif

Funny you should ask... I was talked into chickens by my husband and my neighbor. Not that I had anything against them just knew I'd be the main caretaker Interpreted Poop cleaner upper.

Ordered 8 through a feed store, couldn't wait for them to get here so picked up 6 asst bantams at TSC. Decided I wanted another breed the feed store couldn't get and ordered 6 through MyPetChicken.

When the feed store chicks arrived only 6 came in, 2 backordered. I picked up 2 RIR just because I thought I needed someone to reliably lay. When the other 2 finally came in, I decided there were 2 breeds that looked fun and bought 1 of each of the extras.

Lost 1 sweet appenzeller and now have 17 in the coop and 6 still brooding on my dining room table.

Total of 23. Up from original 8. Not too bad, right?

*lol* I don't think it's so much how many you start with, as how many you end up with!!

For the record....started with 4, and at the highest number probably came close to 200
smile.png

UC

I ordered 10 EE pullets from Ideal, and got 11 EE pullets and 8 Australorp roos (packing peanuts). So I started with 19 birds, lost two pullets, 1 to the cat and 1 to a severe crossbeak and gained two BR roos from a wonderful lady here in Tx.

Then we had a rooster day and sent 9 roos to freezer camp and I now have... guess what.... 10 birds! I'm sure there will be more by next summer though!

Last year, when I started raising chicks, I got around 10 -13 bantams which had now elevated to around 70 chicks (All from hatcheries, my local feed store, and my designers) with more on the way (13 due this weekend, 16 arriving on the 26th from Ideal).
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif

We started off with DH's first 12 11 hens and one rooster. Now three years later I have taken over the chickens and we have way way over 100 Too many to count. But I do know I have 23 week olds in one brooder,20 1-2 week olds in another brooder 23 three week olds in another and just moved 25 6 week olds into a bigger grow out pen then moved 3 5 week olds into another and 29 5-6 week olds into another. They are only the fbabies I stopped counting the adults. Bator is empty for now but who knows when it will start up again...

You are all scaring me

Originally I was fixed on having just 2 hens.
D.gif
D.gif

then that morphed into 4...no more than 4..... < my mantra pre-chicken owning
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Then I joined BYC
caf.gif

Then I met Treegirl
hugs.gif

And I came home with 5 .
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Does this mean multiplication of chickens is inevitable?
th.gif

Last edited:
Ha Ha ha Ha ha ha
lau.gif
I started out with 2 a pair of mottled cochins.

I went and ordered a med sized rabbit hutch off of petsmart.com put it together, and bought the pair off off the son of a guy I work with....... and thats where it all began.

The rabbit hutch was two small for these 2, so we built a run, and divided the run. So I had 2 pens to fill, I bought a trio of Japs off the same guy. My mottled and Japs started to lay the japs went broody the mottleds never did so I bought an incubator and hatched theirs, Sold them pretty easy, thought hmmmm..... i'm on to something.

I went to an auction and bought a pair off porcelain OEGB, and brown red OEGB. Ran into the guy that I got the others off of, he had just done some kind of trade and had 30 some pens that he was selling for $5 a pen.. I thought WOW can't beat that, SO I bought 6. LOL .....SO that meant I had 4 more pens to fill.. You get the point, This all started last summer, and I now have over 10 different breeds, along with pheasants and Quail not mentioning the LF chickens I have gotten my dad into. I'd say right now with all the babies I hatched last year and this year not counting the ones I've sold I should have around 70... SO yeah Don't ever say I just want 2. LOL
lau.gif

course my hubby dosen't help matters, He technically bought me the 4th and 5th pair for valentines Day..LOL Then he see's different breeds and is like oooooh I like those..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom