How many chickens did you start off with?

I just brought home 3: 1 white crested black polish pullet, 1 wellsummer pullet, and 1 ISA Brown pullet. Eventually I would like to have a flock of 8-15. Not too many.
smile.png
They are going to be for pets and eggs. I don't think I want over-run with eggs, and we have neighbors close so I don't want roosters.

When I was younger I used to have a small flock of bantams: Silkies, Cochins, and bantamn ducks. XD

My first year I started of with a trio of bantam cochins living in my barn with the horses. Each year we've added--a few laying hens here, a few more cochins there, a new species here (ducks), some more laying hens there.

We ended up moving to a new house with more property (not just because of the chickens of the poultry but they were involved in the need for more room.

We added a new chicken coop last year--are expanding on it this year, and are making plans for the pheasant housing that will be needed once they're out of the brooder.

Plus we'll have to set the kiddy pool back up pretty soon!!!

I'm well over 50 bantam cochins, have 10 laying hens, about 2 dozen golden pheasants and have bantam ducks hatching as I'm typing this!!!

Basically--the darn things are adicting
lol.png
How can you have too many chickens as long as you have the space and take care of them?

I started off with 8 from an order but they sent an extra, then 2 weeks later while getting feed at TSC we picked up 6 more, and then a week later again stopping at TSC we picked up 4 more and 2 ducklings...........so in three weeks i went from 9 chicks to 19 chicks (we lost 1) and 2 ducklings! LOL! They're like potato chips, you can't have just one. (I have the same problem with rabbits! LOL)

I started with three, have had as many as 23 at a time. I have 10 layers right now and am starting work on a coop/brooder to grow out pullets for sale.

well, scratch that starting off with 29 when I started this post.... my niece talked me into getting the furry footed kind. I got 2 cochin chicks, then a week later decided I wanted a cochin roo. When I went to pick him up, I got 2 more baby girls!!

up to 34!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
I started with ten then bought a couple more due to racoons killing a few. And I just ordered 40 and plan on hatching some by late summer early fall.

I would say get however many you feel comfortable with if its 2 get 2 if its 40 get 40. Thats my opinion I love having chickens!

Back
Top Bottom