how many chickens did you start out with??

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
when we first decided to get chook (we being my fiance and I) we got a pair of silkies from a friend, romeo and Juliet,

then we got two little hens from Birdlover here on BYC, one thing lead to another, and her mother and grandfather took over
somad.gif

our little pet/breeding flock has been turned into an egg operation of over 30 birds
hide.gif

future MIL NEVER lets any birds go broody, because it "takes away the eggs" Juliet has tried twice,her Brahma WANTS to set too. and the one broody we do have is doing a better job with her eggs than i am with the chook eggs in the bator!.

I've set the rules, Con, the barred rock we got is MINE, so isn't Kurley the Turken, when they're old enough when and if they want to brood, they arn't to be bothered.

anyway!

how many did y'all start with?? and how many now?

I started with 3 feed store chicks. I thought one was a roo, so two weeks later got another one. The roo was a pullet, so now I have 4 hens. That was last year. Now, since I might be laid off (I am a teacher, and pink slip has been received) I am thinking I might get a *couple* more so I will have a few more eggs to sell. Hmmm......

4. I started with 4. Turned out they were all roos. Cna't get eggs from them ,so i gave em away. So, after that i replaced them with all girls. And now i have ummmmm ....10 plus.

Can you have them at YOUR place? If they're on her property, they kinda should go by her rules, i guess. If you have em at your place, then you could do as you wished; she could do her thing with her birds.

Started out with 2 chicks then the next week we got 6 more. 2 years later we got up to 150 and now we're getting back down to a managable 50 chickens. That's not including the ducks and turkeys.

now see, thats the thing, we LIVE with her, but SHE didn't want chickens to begin with. so yeah, they've got a nice big pen now, but still
hu.gif

I'm not worried about it, i got chicks until the chicks are with the big birds, then they arn't mine no more (I'm the ONLY one who tends to the chicks, and checks on the broody)

we're ordering from ideal atleast twice more this year,yay more babies

We started with i think 25 or 26 had those for a year or so then we were at my grandparents got a call from our neighbors a dog got into the yard killed all but 1 then later got 4 mutt chickens from a person at church. The next spring got another 25 or so. Added more the next spring then lost some to foxes and so fourth got more the next spring so now our count is any where between 35 and 45.

I started out with 30. I didn't know at that time that hatcheries would send less than 25...
he.gif

And, ya know, thirty was not any harder than 13 would have been. I always kinda giggle when people say they're getting two to start. They should just dive in!
lol.png

I started with 17. A neighbor said something had killed two hens that had babies and he didn't want to deal with them. They were maybe two weeks old. I've been hooked ever since.

Back
Top Bottom