How many chickens should I have?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thatlaidyb, Aug 29, 2013.

1. thatlaidyb

thatlaidyb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Dayton, TN
    My family goes through a lot of eggs. About 5 to 6 dozen over a 2 weeks period if I'm not baking. Right now we have 8 hens (5 welsummers, 2 dominiques and 1 cuckoo marans) and one welsummer rooster and the DH says that I can get up to 25 more hens and 2 more roosters. I'm just wondering how many more I should get. I want more eggs but I don't want to be over run with them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    For your stated consumption, you need about 6 eggs a day. Eight hens should provide that.

If you have more eggs, your friends won't be too far away.

Chris

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    I would have as many as I could. You can always sell or give away extra eggs.

4. thatlaidyb

thatlaidyb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Dayton, TN
    I had thought that 8 hens would work for us also but with the hens that I have I am getting about 2 or 3 eggs a day most of the time and maybe once a week I will get 5 eggs in a day.

If I was still in Oklahoma that would be my plan but I don't know anyone in my area and with the number of little ones that I have I tend to be stay at home most of the time.

Thank you guys for your input though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by