How many chickens should we get?

jennyren85

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
Our coop is 12x17x6 and our runner is 10x10x6. We was thinking around 10-15 hens and 1 rooster.... We are very new to raising chickens. We are getting barred Plymouth Rock chicks. We know we have enough room now just wondering if we will when they are grown? They will also have free range on a little over an acre during the mid afternoon after everyone gets home from school and work till bedtime.

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds ok to me

Thank you so much everyone. Yes we have coyotes....that is why we decided on the rooster. We are outside a lot so they will be in good hands (at least we will do our best to make sure they are).

There were a lot of coyotes where I lived in the San Joaquin Valley in California. We never lost anything to them. Whether or not the coyotes will bother your chickens depends on how hungry they are and how easy your chickens are to get to. Personally, if I were you, I would be checking out electrified poultry fencing.

There were a lot of coyotes where I lived in the San Joaquin Valley in California. We never lost anything to them. Whether or not the coyotes will bother your chickens depends on how hungry they are and how easy your chickens are to get to. Personally, if I were you, I would be checking out electrified poultry fencing.

Cant do that. I have kids that don't need to be shocked and neighbors cat on one side likes to use my yard as a route to outer desert area.

Welcome to BYC. Sounds like plenty of space, but the predators will find your flock. Sadly, they always do. Just be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom