How Many Chickens To Keep The Run Green?

If they are in a permanent run - no matter what the size - they will eventually eat all the greenery.
I only skimmed the posts so I'm sorry for repeating if this was already suggested - but what you might want to try is setting up several 'grass boxes'. Make a 2x4 frame covered in hardware cloth, whatever size you want - but make sure that you are able to attach the wire TIGHT and with supports if you make it a big span. Use a rake to scratch up the ground under the frame - add a little compost or top soil or even potting soil. Then cover in seed and set the frame over it so that the wire is on top. This keeps the chickens from having access to the base of the grass.
As the grass grows up through the wire, the chickens can 'graze' it. You could set up several and have a different seed in each one if you like.

If they are in a permanent run - no matter what the size - they will eventually eat all the greenery.
I only skimmed the posts so I'm sorry for repeating if this was already suggested - but what you might want to try is setting up several 'grass boxes'. Make a 2x4 frame covered in hardware cloth, whatever size you want - but make sure that you are able to attach the wire TIGHT and with supports if you make it a big span. Use a rake to scratch up the ground under the frame - add a little compost or top soil or even potting soil. Then cover in seed and set the frame over it so that the wire is on top. This keeps the chickens from having access to the base of the grass.
As the grass grows up through the wire, the chickens can 'graze' it. You could set up several and have a different seed in each one if you like.

This is a brilliant idea! I would of never thought of it.
I'm really appreciating all the input from everyone. Thanks so much! All this input will make my chickens and me happier.
D.gif

Newby here again. Has anyone ever tried constructing runs having wire bottoms? With a wider mesh spacing than the sides and top, to keep predators out but still allow the girls to peck and scratch?

P.S. We just brought our 7 babies home from the feed store today, and they're slowly drifting off to nod-land a few feet away as I sit here typing. Just an occasional "cheep" to let us know they're still alive. The wife picked out names already, but I can't tell them apart yet. Going to look at a used wooden garden shed tomorrow (8' x 8', $200), which I hope to use as a starting point for the custom coop. Already have a fenced back yard. which we'll be bisecting with a new fence to enclose the girls in when they're big enough to go outside.

Can't wait to fry my first egg!

Newby here again. Has anyone ever tried constructing runs having wire bottoms? With a wider mesh spacing than the sides and top, to keep predators out but still allow the girls to peck and scratch?

P.S. We just brought our 7 babies home from the feed store today, and they're slowly drifting off to nod-land a few feet away as I sit here typing. Just an occasional "cheep" to let us know they're still alive. The wife picked out names already, but I can't tell them apart yet. Going to look at a used wooden garden shed tomorrow (8' x 8', $200), which I hope to use as a starting point for the custom coop. Already have a fenced back yard. which we'll be bisecting with a new fence to enclose the girls in when they're big enough to go outside.

Can't wait to fry my first egg!

Don't think I'd want them on wire 24/7 as it's hard on their feet. I don't know that it would cause bumblefoot but I don't want to do anything that might either encourage it or make it worse should it occur on its own. The wire has to be off the ground high enough to prevent them from pulling up the root if the intent is to preserve the grass so you couldn't bury the wire to protect their feet.

Based on what I've observed with my girls over the past year, I've come to the conclusion that the best way for me to give them greens is to let them free range a portion of the day and share the veggie garden with them.

This is a brilliant idea! I would of never thought of it.
I'm really appreciating all the input from everyone. Thanks so much! All this input will make my chickens and me happier.
D.gif
Here's a great site that discusses grazing frames http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/

I would build at least a 15' x 20' run for your birds if they do not free range as well. The run will be dirt eventually unless you want to try your hand with some type of grazing mesh. Personally, I would use straw/pine bark in the run to knock down any mud and add greenry or grass clippings. You could also run some net fencing in a yard area if you enjoy sitting out and watching the birds as they free range. Trying to grow things in your run will be a headache.
he.gif

i have a large run for 5 birds. they keep it down to dirt mostly. the only plant i've found they don't eat is yarrow. i discovered that only because it grows wild here & new plants are coming up untouched. oh, i also have some poppy plants that are not being eaten or scratched out.

One thing I''m wondering is...why do chickens tear up plant roots?
I'm thinking they are much more interested in looking for bugs to eat than eating plants, so they root up all the plants looking for bugs.

Back
Top Bottom