How many chickens will fit in this coop?

cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
How many standard sized hens will fit in this one coop. Only the coop, not the run - because I will be extending it greatly. Thank you!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-red-barn-coop.75651/
Edited to add:
-mostly just to sleep and lay eggs
-has 9 right now that seem to be living comfortably
-what is the max amount it can hold?
-homemade, designed by us, etc

Last edited:
I'm not sure how big the actual coop itself is but I think you'll have to answer how many more for yourself! Is there room to add another roost bar? My main flock has more room than they need for their current number, but they're jerks and won't let everyone up onto the perches even though double that many could fit comfortably. It really comes down to your flock dynamics.

If I had to lock them inside their coop they would get pretty cranky with each other I think. They have a sheltered area in their run for bad weather. They never use their coop for rainy days, only for sleeping and eggs.

the plans didn't show the dimensions of the coop. You need the width and length of the coop, NOT counting the nestboxes. 4 sq ft per bird, 1 ft roost space, 1 sq ft 24/7 ventilation per bird well above the roosts, all these are minimums, many people double them.

That

but looking at it without any hard measurements and you say 9 I'd say it's over crowded. You can make the run a mile wide by a mile long and a coop too small will still be too small.

Back
Top Bottom