How many chickens will fit in this coop?

I'm not incredibly experienced by any means. My hen house is a 4x4 and I have 5 hens in there. I was going to go with 4, but was sent an extra. (Un)fortunately, I did too good a job and didn't lose any babies along the way. 5 feels like a crowd in the hen house if I'm honest. I have them with a very large run beyond the minimum 10sqft/bird, but come hurricane time here in Florida, I'll have to see if I'll need to give one of the hens away.

You already said you're going to look at going bigger, so that sounds like a good idea to my amateur ears. Good Luck!

I'm not incredibly experienced by any means. My hen house is a 4x4 and I have 5 hens in there. I was going to go with 4, but was sent an extra. (Un)fortunately, I did too good a job and didn't lose any babies along the way. 5 feels like a crowd in the hen house if I'm honest. I have them with a very large run beyond the minimum 10sqft/bird, but come hurricane time here in Florida, I'll have to see if I'll need to give one of the hens away.

You already said you're going to look at going bigger, so that sounds like a good idea to my amateur ears. Good Luck!

Summer of 2020, when we had so many storms come through that I lost count of how many we actually had, I didn't close my coop up for hurricanes. I left the pop door open, let them decide what to do, and saw them out foraging between rain bands.

I am, however, pretty sure that the winds were always no more than tropical storm force by the time they made it to central NC.

Also for bad weather they can go under the coop.
Good thing you don't have my "bad weather." Obviously your weather/climate vastly differ from mine, but if mine tried to go under the coop during really bad weather for protection, they'd be swimming! Thankfully I didn't need to lock them in for this year's floods.

Good thing you don't have my "bad weather." Obviously your weather/climate vastly differ from mine, but if mine tried to go under the coop during really bad weather for protection, they'd be swimming! Thankfully I didn't need to lock them in for this year's floods.
OP lives in Maine, plenty of "bad weather" there.

No floods here.

Back
Top Bottom