How many chickens would ya'll think I need?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dapper, Dec 13, 2007.

1. dapper

dapper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I am a diabetic. My wife and I follow low carb diet. We probably eat around 4 dozen eggs a week. I plan on getting Faverolles, Ameraucanas, Welsummers, Leghorns, Buckeyes, and either RIR's or Australorps. I want a very colorful egg basket. I was thinking like 4 of each breed.

How many would ya'll think I would need?

2. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    100!

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i think 4 of each breed would be plenty. but come summer, and you will be trying to hatch baby chicks. If you get a rooster

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i would start off with the least amount you think and then move up to more. believe me, there is always time. plus, you can make mistakes on the first bunch and then learn how you really want to do it for when you have more, either through nature, incubators or buying more. plus, you'll probably find one breed (or mixtures of breeds) that you like more.

on the other hand, if you don't mind eating any extra (non performing/mean/etc.) chickens, then get as many as you want the first time. lol.

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    48/7=6.875 hens Not all are going to lay an egg per day so, if I wanted 48 per week I'd get 10 to be on the safe side.

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    This is FAR too loaded a question for the folks here![​IMG] These guys are the biggest bunch of enablers you'll ever meet! Chickens in the coop, in the garage, in the kitchen, in the bathtub, oh my - they'll be all over your house before you know it!
    Anyway, to give a more serious answer...to be on the safe side I always estimate that every two hens will give me one egg per day. This varies of course with the time of year and age(s) of the hens, and sometimes you will get lots more than that.
    Everyone needs an Australorp or two in their flock...[​IMG]

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    200 [​IMG]

8. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    We started small. We have 15 pullet & 1 roo. Three diff breeds (EE, SLW, & RIR). At their peak we would get 13 eggs a day, but production has slowed down a bit, but we are still getting anywhere from 8 - 11 eggs a day. I have plenty of eggs for my family and to share with friends & neighbors.

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats how i got into chickens too. I began carb counting in 2000. I lost 30 lbs and DH lost 55 or 60.
    I am not diabetic, but i learned alot about how people can prevent becomming diabetic. I am very happy to have learned the benefits of carb control. Now, I wonder how i lived without chickens all my life. I would think 10 to 15 chickens would be good for you. It depends if you would rather have extra or just enough.

10. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Don't get too many!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They will take over your mind and then will control your every move!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by