How many chickens would you need to keep to supply all the meat and eggs your family eats?

The reason this post came to mind was I've been asked to advice on a project that intends to supply chickens (dead ones) to a few select restaurants. The selling point is that the chicken you get on your plate is truly free range and with your chicken meal this company will supply a small brochure detailing the keeping and processing conditions of the chicken on the plate.
This made me think about the feasibility of supplying a years meat protein based solely on chicken meat for a family of four.
I mention in my first post that I am talking about backyard chicken keepers. This point is probably worth a thread of it's own. How does one define a backyard chicken keeper?
I have on occasions been told I don't understand something because I'm not a backyard chicken keeper. Interestingly the people who leveled this accusation are not what I would call backyard chicken keepers either.
I'll suggest an arbitrary definition of a backyard. I'll be generous and allow an acre of land in total, front back and sides.
To fit my definition of a yard the area needs to be enclosed by a fence of some type.
The next step up is what gets called in the UK a smallholding. I believe in the USA this is called a homestead. I've not come across a definition of land area for a smallholding.
Next step up is a farm, or estate.
My OP is based on the above definition of a backyard. There isn't much point in mentioning that if one kept other animals as well as chickens in what would be less than and acre at the back of the house given my OP deals with chicken only.:)

You could possibly adapt @Ridgerunner s model in a back yard but what you would be doing is running a small hatchery, not really keeping chickens. Even then you still have to have the chicken throughput to meet the protein requirements mentioned in the OP.
Say you have one rooster and six hens as in ridgerunners arrangement and you eat 45 chickens a year. That is roughly one eight of the protein contribution I set out as being reasonable to be considered as a meat eater. Bear in mind that at 45 chickens a year you will get 45 x 140 grams equaling 6300 grams of protein a year. Dividing that by 365 gives 17 grams of protein a day which spread over a family of four equals about 4 grams of meat protein per person. Given an adult human needs between 50 and 60 grams a day 4 grams is a negligible contribution.
I would want a lot more than 4 grams of protein a day to run a double incubator system, pullet pens (remember it's a back yard) and have hopefully a free range flock of the initial rooster and six hens.

Do you think the zombies would eat the chickens??? :lau Sorry! My son is interested in “surviving the zombie apocalypse” scenarios. It is a fun discussion, but realistically, I think we all get eaten in the end!

Boy, you sure do like to debate the 'definitive hypotheticals'.

Ooo, yet another thread!!

:gig
Forget the like button. Wheres the love button!:gig

Boy, you sure do like to debate the 'definitive hypotheticals'.

Ooo, yet another thread!!

:gig
I like some accuracy in language if that's what you mean. I find it helps get things understood. I do realise how horribly old fasioned that is these days when people have a horrible habit of telling you language is dynamic and what was a definition yeaterday no longer applies.
Here the example would be, You can call a farm a backyard. We all see and do things differently etc etc.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom