How many chickens.............

Pics
how much money would it cost to feed 30 chicks till 15 weeks old

I don't know the cost of your feed, but if you can tell how much each chick will eat, you can then price the feed and figure it out.

Here's one estimate:
https://extension.umn.edu/small-sca...s-and-pullets#economic-considerations-1704561
"From hatch to 20 weeks-old. Leghorn pullets will eat 16 to 18 pounds per bird."

Leghorns are small, so you should assume that larger breeds would eat more, although I don't know how much more.

I don't know the cost of your feed, but if you can tell how much each chick will eat, you can then price the feed and figure it out.

Here's one estimate:
https://extension.umn.edu/small-sca...s-and-pullets#economic-considerations-1704561
"From hatch to 20 weeks-old. Leghorn pullets will eat 16 to 18 pounds per bird."

Leghorns are small, so you should assume that larger breeds would eat more, although I don't know how much more.
a 50 lbs. bag costs 20.00 at my TSC

Almost certain you would need a permit in Florida to sell eggs anywhere other than your farm. With covid now happening not sure you could even get a permit. Better check that out if you have not already done so.
I wonder if you would be fine as you can sell eggs on your farm. Simply Local is just advertising it in a way but definitely do check the local rules for selling

That’s so neat. I need a goose! Does a duck help. I have two ducks and a drake
Ducks are little smushy dumplings. They are a bit bigger than a chicken so that could discourage predators a little bit, but they can't defend themself all too well.
If you are to get a goose please be aware that they tend to bond with only one person which could be a problem if there is a little kid that is living in your house or one that goes over to your house because they will most likely attack them and they can be pretty violent. It is best to get 1 or 2 female geese, this will encourage the geese to follow the chickens. More than 2 geese might encourage them to make their own geese only flock. If you where to get a gander, he might take the geese away from the chickens or hurt the chickens when attempting to do the stuff...
Also, they are not a %100 percent protector. They are %99 predator alarm and a protector of small predators. Their main attack mechanism is their scary screams and chase, they don't tend to kill, just scare the heck out of the critter. Keep medical supplies in hand because they can still get bitten.

I got my girls from Murray McMurray too. I have 14 girls that are a little more than a year old. I get about 10 eggs daily as an average. You can look at what is a good laying breed and good for hot weather. I have "heavy breeds" for cold weather as I am in illinois. 50 chickens sounds like a lot of work - basically you will be operating a farm!

My two cents, every Barred Rock I had was a thrifty layer, i.e. 1 egg a week if that.

My little Leghorns lay an egg a day year round, and we have cold winters.

Sapphire Gems are beautiful and egg laying machines almost as much as Leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom