How many chickens.............

Ok now i have another question should I get chicks or starter pullets

If you need eggs soon: started pullets.
If you have a good source of started pullets: go for it!

Otherwise, chicks.
Given that you need 50 to 60 of them, raising your own chicks is probably more cost effective.

Build your coop FIRST, then get 2 heat lamps and a few chick waterers/feeders and brood those chicks right in the coop. (2 heat lamps: because of number of chicks, and because if one goes out the chicks will still have the other. Do make sure they cannot fall and cause a fire.)

If you need eggs soon: started pullets.
If you have a good source of started pullets: go for it!

Otherwise, chicks.
Given that you need 50 to 60 of them, raising your own chicks is probably more cost effective.

Build your coop FIRST, then get 2 heat lamps and a few chick waterers/feeders and brood those chicks right in the coop. (2 heat lamps: because of number of chicks, and because if one goes out the chicks will still have the other. Do make sure they cannot fall and cause a fire.)
I was going to get starter pullets but if I need 50-60 that's a lot of money so its cheaper to buy baby chicks and for the heap lamp I am going to use a heat plate because i don't want to take the risk of a fire

I was going to get starter pullets but if I need 50-60 that's a lot of money so its cheaper to buy baby chicks and for the heap lamp I am going to use a heat plate because i don't want to take the risk of a fire

Just make sure you do the math first-- cost of chicks and maybe shipping them, cost of chick-specific feeders & waterers, cost of chick food, cost of heat plate and electricity, maybe cost of your time to tend them as they grow up.

Even considering all the costs, chicks probably are cheaper than buying started pullets-- but anytime you are choosing something becaues it is "cheaper," it's good to make sure it really is cheaper!

"Simply Local - Farmers Market" is a good place to sell some extra eggs. Download the app on the app store and you can create your farm. It's a great app that you can advertise if you sell eggs, any type of meat, dairy and soon fruits and veggies. Plus you can purchase things from there. Definitely recommend that app and great for sellers and buyers

Just make sure you do the math first-- cost of chicks and maybe shipping them, cost of chick-specific feeders & waterers, cost of chick food, cost of heat plate and electricity, maybe cost of your time to tend them as they grow up.

Even considering all the costs, chicks probably are cheaper than buying started pullets-- but anytime you are choosing something becaues it is "cheaper," it's good to make sure it really is cheaper!
that's true you got a point I didn't really do the math lol but which type of pullets should I get they have 15 week-22 weeks old for 22$ each or 4-week olds for $17 each. How many chickens would I need to get 1 dozen of eggs a day

Last edited:
You should get some chicks in the spring and in the fall so that you can get eggs year-round. Spring chicks don't lay in the winter. Also if you want winter eggs you will have to check every hour or buy a heated nesting box or else they will become frozen and burst. You said that you are ordering 60 chicks right? Be careful with predators and keep the coop or coops clean because disease can spread like wildfire. I recommend getting a goose to scare off small predators. Some people also use llamas which can scare off birds of prey and small predators, for big predators they can alert you of it. But if you get a llama they also come with their own personal needs, health, and housing.
in Florida the coldest it gets in the winter is 65-70 degrees. know that I've been reading what everyone has said i probably only want enough chickens so that i can get 1 dozen of eggs a day

Back
Top Bottom