How many chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Celizwalsh, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Celizwalsh

Celizwalsh Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering If someone could give me an idea of how many chickens our new coop can hold? It is 5ft x 5ft, has 5 nest boxes, and the run will be about 5ft x 7ft with a top to protect from preditors. Also we were going to put down pavers for the floor of the run so it doesn't become a mud pit and I was wondering if that will be ok for the chickens? (they will be allowed out occasionally to forage)
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    I would say 2-3 chickens. When you say pavers, do you mean like cement slabs? Your chickens would be pretty bored with a cement ground, ours usually doesn't get muddy, and its good for the chickens to get worms and peck and dust bathe in. You could use sand or wood chips for a bottom so they could at least kick it around and dust bathe. I would also worry about a cement bottom being a cause for bumble foot. There's my two cents, hope this helped. :D

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    5x5 coop=6 chickens and definitely put sand in the run, very easy to clean and they will love it.

4. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    My coop is 12 long X 4 wide and I have 6 girls. I think I have read on BYC to allow 2 ft per bird is best. I love your coop design...very nice. Good Luck! [​IMG]

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Depends on what type chickens you have. General rule of thumb is 4 sq. ft. per standard sized bird in the coop, 10 sq. ft. per standard bird in the run. You can get away with less space for bantams. I don't have bantam's so don't know how to recommend on those.

6. Celizwalsh

Celizwalsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the advice so far! The coop is mostly for my mom (although I am excited about getting chickens too lol). She had them before a long time ago and just loved it. This time around I want them to be as easy to take care of as possible as she is getting older and thats why I was thinking pavers. However I don't want to do something that would be harmful to them. As far as breeds I think we are going with orpingtons and wyandottes.

7. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    x2

It also depends on how much, if any, time they get out free ranging or in a yard. You can get away with a little less space if they get out a lot, but my 5x10 run starts to feel a bit small for 4 chickens after I add food, water, a flock block and an outdoor roost.

8. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Coop. 5' x 5' = 25' / 4 = 6 chickens.

Run. 5' x 7' = 35 ' / 10 = 3 chickens.

3 chickens is the maximum I would put in the conditions you have outlined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by