1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many Chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken_Belle, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Chicken_Belle

Chicken_Belle New Egg

Oct 12, 2008
    Rural Louisiana
    Can I comfortably fit in a coop that is 6'deep 8' wide 4' high in back and 5' high in front? we are wanting to start w/ 11 pullets and 1 roo. Also, would 3 nesting boxes be fine. How big should our temporary run be? (Just for the adjustment period.)We aren't planning on getting them till next year, so we still have some time. I just don't want to wait till the last minute to figure all this out.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I think you're on the right track with 11 or 12 chickens. I wouldn't get more than that. Remember, the more chickens the more poo.

Three nestboxes sounds right too.

The run should be as big as you could possibly make it. The more run-around space they have, the fewer personality "issues" you'll have.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    If you can let them out a couple of hours a day it sure saves on space and cleaning!

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    coop should have 4 square feet per chicken ((so, you are good for 12 chickens))

run should be 8 square foot per chicken ((but, the more room the better))

5. Chicken_Belle

Chicken_Belle New Egg

Oct 12, 2008
    Rural Louisiana
    Well the run will be temporary. Keep them in the coop a couple days and let them out in the run for a few to let them become more familiar w/ the general area.

6. Chicken_Belle

Chicken_Belle New Egg

Oct 12, 2008
    Rural Louisiana
    What can I use to treat the wood that would be safe for them?

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Treat the wood? I just use treated lumber... but no paint of stain inside!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by