How many chicks can fit in this coop?

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
Hey, I am planning on buying a bunch of chicks next year and selling once they get to the age of six weeks. I want to know how many chicks can fit in my coop. I will only keep them to the age of six weeks, no longer. They will be large fowl (standards). Mostly pullets, but I am experienced enough to expect a few cockerels.

The coop is 42" (3.50') by 45" (3.75'), but I will also have to fit in a feeder and waterer

Two roosts that are 45 (3.75')" long, different heights off the ground

The run is 50" (4.16') by 75" (6.25')

For full details on the coop, see here: The Chick Coop

I was hoping to fit 25-50? They won't be in there for long, but I want to be as humane as possible. What is your opinion?

From everything I've read, they should have 1/2 square foot from hatch to 6 weeks of age. That would allow around 25 birds. Maybe subtract a few for the food/waterer space. The roost space shouldn't matter since they'll be sleeping on the ground at that age. Hope that helps.

I use a galvanized water tank for my brooder; it is 7'x2.5' and it works great for 8 chicks with food and waterer. If ever I would get more chicks than the 8, I would get another tank.
Thank you! I've never heard of using a water tank for a brooder!

From everything I've read, they should have 1/2 square foot from hatch to 6 weeks of age. That would allow around 25 birds. Maybe subtract a few for the food/waterer space. The roost space shouldn't matter since they'll be sleeping on the ground at that age. Hope that helps.
Okay, 25 chicks sounds great to me! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom