How many chicks can one hen raise successfully?

the4heathernsmom

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
east texas
Ok experienced chicken folks....I would like to know the largest number of chicks your hens have been able to raise successfully. I have broodies everywhere and would like to just go ahead and take the hatchlings from the bator and give to them to raise for me but I am uncertain of how many I could get away with. The most I have experience with is 11 chicks to one hen. Please share your thoughts and photos and I have large breed hens. Thanks!

I've never let mine raise more than 12 chicks at a time. But if the hens are big you could slip in a few more. Just make sure they can fit them all in under them comfortably with a little room to spare for when the chicks grow bigger.

I had a big hen raise 14 chicks but she was really big so they all fit under her fine, i dont have any pictures, sorry...

Hi, my friends in Cottageville, SC just discovered one of their hens with 15 chicks! All are healthy and colorful. We are guessing they are a week or under and they are just adorable. The mom is 8 months old, hatched from one of their first hens.

I wanted to attach a picture but it gives me a message that I don't have permission to create attachments. I wanted to show the different colors.

I had a bantam raise 14! And she would continue to steal any eggs layed around her and add them to the clutch! She had 4 extra-large regular eggs plus her 14 bantam sized eggs before I caught onto that one.
20170524_090808.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom