How many chicks / How many losses?

FruitfulFaith

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 19, 2012
How many chicks did you order/obtain and how many losses did you have?

We got a total of 27 and lost one the first day, four more today, and one that looks a little iffy. They were all AWESOME when they arrived.

I'm curious what the normal percentage is for losses, because I remember when I was little and my mother postal-ordered chicks there were always a few initial losses.

First shipment from McMurray, there were about 27 in the box. 23 died. Second shipment, 28 were in the box at arrival, 4 died. The first shipment, they think the chicks sat too long at a postal distribution center up north.

I'm receiving a shipment of 18 from Meyer next week, nervous to see how it turns out.

I ordered 27 from Mc Murray and got 29 on March 8th. No losses. I requested delivery to the post office in a nearby town because my small local PO does not get trucks in on Sunday. I also requested that Mc Murray put a heat pack in my box, and they did for an extra $2.50.

We got 8 ducks and 3 chicks to start, so that is 11. Then about 5 days later a Facebook friend's brother got 6 chicks and could not keep them, so they came to our house, that's 17. Then about a week later we got 6 bantams, that's 23. Then 2 weeks ago we got 4 new bantams and 2 new ducks, that's 29.

We 1 of the original bantams yesterday, 1 of the new bantams today (the ducklings killed it on accident I think), 3 other bantams of the new bunch died 3 days apart from each other. So altogether we have lost 5. :(

Seven of our 8 original ducks will be leaving our house in a few more weeks, but that is just to go to their new home at my mom and dad's house for the grandkids.

How many chicks did you order/obtain and how many losses did you have?

We got a total of 27 and lost one the first day, four more today, and one that looks a little iffy. They were all AWESOME when they arrived.

I'm curious what the normal percentage is for losses, because I remember when I was little and my mother postal-ordered chicks there were always a few initial losses.
It could be shipping stress, but it could also be illness or environment. What kind of food are you feeding? Bedding type? Drafts? any other symptoms or do they just expire? I sometimes lose one here and there (not counting the first 48 hours after arrival with shipping shock).

They were obtained in weekly waves, about half were postal, half were bought in a store. Overall we obtained 57 chicks, only one loss, but that was from a store bought chick who be believe was accidently dropped from about 2 feet up. (we took it home anyways after it was dropped, we just lost track of which was which.)

I did have one close call on one being extremely sick, but it was also a store bought chick, and with TLC, it perked back up.

I know someone that got a bunch of chicks that started dying one by one. Then she told me her husband had bought ceder shavings.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom