1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many chicky trips today?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tdgill, Apr 14, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I am on my 3rd. I am letting them have a nappy day under the heat lamp - its damp and drizzling out. AND I kept them up last nite. Which I always feel guilty for but always do it anyway. I DO hope they can adjust a get enough sleep when they need to. I mean, like normal chickens go to bed at sunset and wake up at dawn...mine have slightly varied hours. [​IMG]

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Wow, now I feel neglecful. I have been in with mine 3 times today and am going in once more before bed.

3. tdgill

oh I wouldn't say so. Sounds fine to me! More normal than not.

I'm just trying to not bug them every 15 minutes. hahahaha. So they can sleep

4. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    So far today, I've been in 3 times and those were to work out and tape my gimp chickens foot and leg. I'm crossing fingers that it will work. I may need to retape the legs soon because I was overly cautious as far as pulling the weird leg to the normal one. Now, I need to go back in to clean water and add food.

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    It's funny how you can always find something to do around the coop. Even though they only require food, water and a little cleaning I can always find a reason to go out there. Hmmm, they look board so i throw a clump of grass in there for them to eat and play with. Enjoy.

6. tdgill

yeah, its all part of it isnt it? I have farted around with mine almost continously! hahah. Kept them entertained. Its amazing what you can do around them and they don't mind. I'll be moving stuff around, reorganizing, re-hanging, adjusting, cleaning, scouping them up, treating, feeding, adding roosts, hanging cardboard draft deterents, banging around etc. even using the table saw.....

7. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Today, I learned how to make a chick straight jacket out of a baby sock with the foot part cut off. It was the only way I could get it to hold still while I taped it's legs and foot. Also, if it was slightly upside down it seemed to make it calmer. Oh, and I forgot to check the temperature. Now I have an additional reason to go back in again. Yeah!

8. tdgill

hahaha

cool!

9. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Let's see. I went in and fed everyone, gave the younger group more water, and bedding.
    The 5wk old gang got new bedding, and a bit of scratch grain thrown in with it.

Second time out, I let the 5 wk olds out the coop to free range a bit. The loved scratching in the leaves under the coop, and eating some fresh spring grass. I sat outside with them and my 10 mon. old mini daschund for 2 hrs.

Encouraged everyone it was time to go in. 5 white chicks went right in, spent another 30 mins trying to convince the 3 RIR, and last white chickie that inside for naps was the best idea since a hawk was flying around overhead. They seemed to think the leaves made a better bed. (No idea what white chicks are! TSC sold me them as New Hampshire reds, but they most certainly arent!! Not cornish X, don't look lean like a leghorn, so I'm guessing they are white rocks, or ? Can't remember other solid white breed that lays brown eggs. ??)

Went back out because I forgot to turn the light off. Gave older gang some yogurt.

Attempted to 'bond' with the 4 week olds, but they were having NO part of it! They are extremely antisocial with humans! Thsi group consists of 6 EE, 4 Austrolorps, 2 RIR, 2 Cochins (I think), and 2 SLW. I've no idea why they all fly around squaking like mad everytime I put my hands anywhere near them. I'm afraid this gang will have to wait until the run is complete before they can enjoy the ground! They are also growing at a much slower rate and I cant figure out why! We've done everything the exact same with both groups!

I know I'll go back out tonight, give older gang new water, and turn light on if they need it.

10. tdgill

my first batch seemed to grow faster than the second. but probably not. maybe its an optical confusion. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by