How many coops and runs do you have?

We are buying a playhouse next week with the "idea" of using it to store horse feed. Then, if I still want more chickens, DH says we can convert it to another coop. The decision now is where to put it. I don't think it will be used for feed storage for long, maybe not at all
D.gif

i have 1 large coop.,... we did an additon, so technically 2 coops connected. we have 2 runs but since have opened them both up, and its one large shared run.

the idear for the 2 runs, came when we had baby chicks, we wanted to safely intergrate them with the older hens. its worked nicely and have opened up the 2 to make one giant run where everyone is happily clucking away..
bun.gif

Quote:
It sounds like you are on your way to joining the rest of us.
lol.png

I'm in the same "boat" . . . we (well, my DH) built an 8x8' coop and the plan was to have ONLY 10 chickens. We got straight run chicks from a friend of a friend . . . ended up with 7 cockerels!!!

So now the cattle panels are outside, waiting to be turned into a hoop tractor for the "girls". And I'm planning to convert half of my feed room into a coop for the 4 guineas that are currently growing in our unfinished bathroom.
big_smile.png

Melissa

I have one connected coop. It has 5 sections to it. Three are connected but can be seperated if needed. I have two screened doors between them. One section is newer and has vinyl on a floor. The others have a dirt floor over wire. The chickens love the dirt floor but I hate them. The dust they kick up is amazing. All dry red clay everywhere. I am in the process of flooring them a little at a time. I have three sections of run. They are not fancy but work well. Gloria Jean

I have 3 1/2 chicken coops and one duck coop. Many of you are talking about a kids playhouse. They work great for chicken coops. I have one. This was origionally for some potbelly pigs. The woman moved and I got the house and made a couple of changes since the doors were rotting away from the weather. Fixed it up and works great.

45848_6-24-2010c.jpg

My first coop

Here is what the others look like.

45848_6-24-2010c_1.jpg

This run is connected to my shed and the coop is attached. You can see it on the left side of the picture. Sorry it's not a very good shot. I'm storing my brooder boxes in there as well. You can see the pink one. It sits on top of my blue one.

45848_6-24-2010_7.jpg

This is a picture of another chicken coop and the duck coop to the right. Both have pens around them.

45848_6-24-2010-0_2.jpg

This is my 1/2 pen. I use it as an emergency/temporary/holding pen

3 of the coops are built pretty much the same. The chicken coops are 4x8x4 and the back is a little shorter so to have an angle on the roof. 2 of the coops have 4x4 ft doors on the front. One of the doors have a pop out door if I decide to keep the big doors closed. It makes cleaning easy since they are up about 2 1/2 feet. Easy to make for the most part too.

We have 4 if you include the brooderbox.
We have a 20x20 chainlink run and inside are the main coop: 4x8
And the maternity 4x4 coop- for separating broodies and raising their chicks; or isolation; or whatever
And the pediatric coop- 4x4 on stilts for the ones we incubate or to separate breeding pairs.
We have moveable fence separators inside to open and close as needed as the groups grow and move.
The brooderbox is the 3x4 box on our enclosed deck that is the brooder for when we incubate. We can hold the newborns up to about 3 weeks in there.
The hard part is getting down to manageable numbers for winter. We like to keep it to two pens to make it easier on the water-warming.
And we free range even in winter. All the coops are elevated to allow snow-free dusting space underneath. We have kept 12 in the 4x8 with no problems so long as we leave the door open for them to go underneath.

Hubby's dream is a HUGE oldstyle chicken house like the old farms had.
It ain't gonna happen.

We have 3 :

10x10 coop with 20 x24 run = Main coop

4x8 coop with 9 x 16 run = Grower coop

5 x6 coop with 8 x 8 run = Honeymoon suite

4th coop is under construction, as I want and need more chickens...LOL

Back
Top Bottom