how many cover their coop floor with linoleum?

I plan to use linoleum remnants and use the deep litter method. Keep everything easy to clean. I plan to put something down on the corners if not all the sides just to ensure it stays down.

Worked out so well in the turkey shed (plywood base) we later added it to the chicken coop. We visited several carpet outlets and finally got a deal on a congoleum remnant. Yes, it is slippery. After watching the turkeys fly down from their roost and slide out the door on their butts riding a `magic carpet' of straw and woodchips, we added play sand to the depth of two inches. Easy to clean and stays dry.

I used vinyl tiles because I had some left over from a human-house project. I do not recommend using them due to corners coming up. I knew this was likely to be a problem - so I glued most of them down with construction adhesive. This seemed to help - except where I didn't get the adhesive close enough to the corners. The self-stick glue did NOT stick.

I cycle my bedding through, and currently the tile section is a little low. It is a little slippery right now. It seems fine when the shavings are thick.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif

The visual on that is priceless!!!!!
gig.gif

Those of you who used vinyl flooring (not the tiles): how did you attach the vinyl?

Glue? Staples? Nails?

After many phone calls, craigslist listing and other searching came up empty for reasonably priced vinyl remnents, my wife came home from her mother's with three rolls left over from a kitchen project several years ago; enough to cover the floor of our under-construction 8x8 coop several times over.

We will use the deep litter method.

Last edited:
I have linoleum with straw over it, it's so NICE to clean and I havent had any problems with the chickens slipping. I actually added it to the wall in back of the roost also since some wayward poo was getting on the walls, it cleans up so nice now. We just used a staple gun to put it down and it's been working out fine.

Nancy

Quote:
woot.gif
That's awesome!! Just use staples... it will be easier to remove it later if you need to replace it.
smile.png

I like Nancy's idea of putting it on the walls... I don't know how the hens do it, but they managed to get poo all over!
lol.png

Thank you everyone for your advice....I have put the little ones in the new coop with just a plywood floor and about 3" of shavings. I'm going to try this for a few weeks and then may decide to add a sheet.

I have a vinyl piece that is 1 foot short and that 1 foot is a booger to clean. The dust seems to be a magnet to there. Everything else just slides off the vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom