how many cover their coop floor with linoleum?

slickchick

Songster
13 Years
Jul 2, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
I'm moving my 7 week olds out to the new coop today. It is just an 8x12 shed with a plywood floor. I have been debating whether or not to cover it with linoleum tiles or not. I know this would help with cleanup, but is it necessary? Can I just put the pine shavings down on the plywood?

mine is half bare wood and half linoleum tiles. If I had a choice next time I would have got a sheet not the tiles but its less dusty and easier to clean on the tile side. Seems like the dust settles into the wood floor and you can sweep and sweep the dust.

I would never recommend a slick floor for poultry, sorry.
sad.png
Maybe just oldfashioned about injuries.

My coop floor is covered with linoleum. I also have 2 inches of wood shavings on top of the floor so they don't slip, even when they fly off the roosts and land. It works great for clean up.

I would leave it bare or cover it with a solid sheet. We used the tiles and half of them have come up already after only one year of use. I just cleaned the coop yesterday and where the tiles still are it's great. A solid sheet of vinyl would have been perfect. I don't know that it is a must have though.

ETA: This is of course only if you're using the deep litter method and have enough shavings piled up on top to not make the flooring slick.

Last edited:
I use linoleum. I think it will help with my major cleaning every 6 months. I can mop it, and if there are sick I can clean the coop thouroughly

I was planning on using a sheet of vinyl in my coop but am a tad concerned about them slipping now.

Who had actually had this happen?

Would a highly textured vinyl work?

Linoleum by nature is much much harder than vinyl and can be slicker so just wondering if it would work out using it instead.

Back
Top Bottom