How many days for Penn shots?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aubreynoramarie, Jul 19, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    The woman at the feed store told me four days, but I think he's still going to need the antibiotic after today which is day four on penicillin. If I have to stop the shots today, when can I start them again?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If you are giving 1/4cc with the 300,000 IU....you can go up to 7 days, but no more than that. It means that the drug isnt working and would have to use something else if possible....maybe baytril from a vet.

3. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Usually if you stop an antibiotic before it is done killing the infection, the remaining weakened, but not yet dead, bacteria will become resistant to the antibiotic you are using, so it's not wise to stop and antibiotic if there is an active infection unless you are planning on starting another antibiotic ASAP. (If you stop the penicillin, and then restart it in a few days, it will not work. It's best if you can switch from one antibiotic directly to the next.)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by