How many days in a row do chickens tend to lay??

AudraBrooke

Chirping
May 3, 2019
Washington State
Our RIR started laying recently and I'm surprised at how frequent her laying has been! We only have three girls: one RIR, one barred rock and an EE.

Our EE hasn't started laying yet and it's obvious to tell the difference between the RIR and barred rock eggs because the RIR lays a darker tan egg and the barred rock's eggs are a lighter cream.

Our RIR laid 2 days in a row when she first started and then skipped one day...and has since then has laid an egg every day for the past 10 days!! It's been quite exciting as I've managed to be out in the morning checking for eggs three days that she was in the nesting box and I've actually gotten to witness her lay her egg those three times!

Is 10 days in a row a lot or is that fairly common? I had read that RIR's tend to lay 5-6 eggs per week so I was expecting a little more time off than she's given herself so far. They are all strong little eggs with great shells so I'm not worried...just curious of others experiences! :)

Our RIR started laying recently and I'm surprised at how frequent her laying has been! We only have three girls: one RIR, one barred rock and an EE.

Our EE hasn't started laying yet and it's obvious to tell the difference between the RIR and barred rock eggs because the RIR lays a darker tan egg and the barred rock's eggs are a lighter cream.

Our RIR laid 2 days in a row when she first started and then skipped one day...and has since then has laid an egg every day for the past 10 days!! It's been quite exciting as I've managed to be out in the morning checking for eggs three days that she was in the nesting box and I've actually gotten to witness her lay her egg those three times!

Is 10 days in a row a lot or is that fairly common? I had read that RIR's tend to lay 5-6 eggs per week so I was expecting a little more time off than she's given herself so far. They are all strong little eggs with great shells so I'm not worried...just curious of others experiences! :)
New pullets do lay quite heavily. It's certainly not uncommon to lay an egg a day for 10 days in a row.
In fact, I have a white rock who has laid an egg a day so darn long I was surprised NOT to see one this past Monday! She's laid an egg a day for well over a month. And she's a hen!

New pullets do lay quite heavily. It's certainly not uncommon to lay an egg a day for 10 days in a row.
In fact, I have a white rock who has laid an egg a day so darn long I was surprised NOT to see one this past Monday! She's laid an egg a day for well over a month. And she's a hen!
It really is fun that I can tell a difference! When we got our first two eggs in two days we assumed they were from the same girl but obviously couldn't be certain... We were actually assuming it was our barred rock just from the one observation that she is a slightly bigger girl than our RIR. Then the 3rd day no one laid and the 4th day for our RIR was the 1st day for our barred rock and I knew so because I watched our RIR lay that one! I think she wanted me to see so she could get credit for being our first layer! :lau

Our EE JUST today squatted for the first time (that I've seen) so we might get eggs from her soon.

I'm a bit on the OCD side and have been tracking on my calendar each day that the girls lay and who laid (for the sole purpose of just knowing around how many we end up getting each week) and my husband saw that and told me I needed medication! :lau

Had pullet that laid 49 days in a row, then 35, then 29, then more long runs(don't have the numbers in front of me).
Was an EE x amberlink cross, one of the first eggs I hatched.

Back
Top Bottom