How many days in a row have you had a hen lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redoak, Aug 12, 2008.

1. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    How many days in a row have you had a hen lay an egg? I only have 1 hen laying so it's easy to keep track of at this point. Mrs. Brown a buff orpington laid eggs for 6 days in a row, then took Monday off.

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I can't help much...I got my first egg yesterday and my second one today. I have 4 hens the same age and I'm not sure who is laying them. Today's egg was in a different nest box than yesterday's...you think its the same hen?

Seems like yours is doing well...6 days in a row! [​IMG]

~Rebecca

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

No idea, but that's because I've got multiple hens laying the same colored eggs. All I know is that at one point in the winter, my one leghorn hen was laying half the eggs collected... and I had about 8 "active" brown layers in that particular tractor/coop!

4. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    I have a goldline that laid her first egg on the 24th June and has laid every day since..that's 50 eggs without a break. The eggs are small but it still must be a strain on the poor little soul.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I have one polish that lays 6 days a week. The other polish lays 4

I have one BO that lays every day and another that lays 3-4 days a week

My speckled sussex just started laying five days ago, but has laid every single day.

My SLW started two weeks ago and lays every other day so far.

6. mvinson1978

mvinson1978 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Decatur, AL
    Best I can tell I have a RIR that will lay 5 days in a row then take a day off.

7. CrazyAcres

CrazyAcres Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    When my blackstar girls were in their prime- they would lay from March-December non-stop...big beeee-utiful dark brown eggs!

They are older now, so when they are laying it's about 5 days a week, one stopped laying last year and never restarted.

Lily my muttster hen is laying every other day now, and my new RIR girl Willie has layed 4 out of the 5 days we've had her.

The older girls start later, about May and end earlier now about September. I have one blackstar that went into a moult already and stopped.

8. acemario

acemario Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Northern Utah
    My Red-Star Pullet started one week ago and has laid 7 days in a row, and still going strong! Let's hope for the best today!

9. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

We just got chickens this year and our hatchery Delaware laid 17 days in a row. I know this for sure because our other 3 hens STILL are not laying and we would go out every day to check who was on the nest during egg time and listen for her song. Poor Marshmallow is doing all the work. Previous to that, she would lay 7 days, then take a day off. No idea what triggered the landslide in the middle of November.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by