How many different breeds are in your mixed flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by E.G.Glayer, Aug 7, 2010.

1. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Ive got 8. Delawares, Buckeyes, Silver Laced Wyandots, Buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, Barred Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, Rhode Island Whites.

God must love crazy people because he made so many of us.

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Mine are listed below. [​IMG]

3. BonnieJean

BonnieJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    I only have 12 chickens, but they are 8 different breeds! I have silkies, a maran, ameraucanas, mille fleur d'uccles, an araucana, brahmas, an orpington, and an olive egger!! It should be a colorful egg basket when they finally start laying...

4. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I got BRs (1 roo and 5 hens), black lorps (2 roos), blue silkies (a pair), an EE (hen), a light brahma (hen), & an SLW (hen) That's 6 breeds! I only have 13 chickens!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mine are listed in my signature "paragraph." Except that I just hatched five olive egger chicks THIS morning. [​IMG]

So, lets see, that would be ... 16 different chicken breeds and a pair of Cayuga ducks.

6. Bammy

Bammy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Snow Shoe, PA.
    There are so many beautiful birds, as this forum shows everyday! I started with Barred Rock, RIR, White Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington, and Black Star. This spring I added Columbian, Silver Laced, Gold Laced and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes along with a real Aracuna, Partridge Rock, Partridge Cochins (Full size) and Speckled Sussex. I also hatched 1 black frizzle, 1 splash and 1 mottled bantam Cochins. Can't forget the 3 EE's with their beautiful color patterns. I have to control myself come spring, but it sure does make an interesting flock. I love having chickens, but a LOT of people think I have lost my mind.

7. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Gryeyes...where's the pics of those OE's??? How excited are you!!?! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've got 8 chickaboos......2 EE's, 2BO's, 3 GLW's & 1 BA

8. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    My goal is to not have more than one of any one breed, although I do have two EE's, but one is a regular EE and one is and Olive Egger, and those are mutts anyway. I am waiting to get an Ameraucana, and I have a Barred Rock, Production Red, Leghorn, and French Black Copper Marans.

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    My "list" keeps growing - just can't help myself. Amongst my 300 +/- birds I have:

French Black Copper Marans (Wade Jeane Line)
    Blue Orpingtons (American & English)
    Welsummers
    Ameraucanas
    Araucanas
    Olive Eggers
    Easter Eggers
    Buff Orpingtons
    Rhode Island Reds
    Barred Rocks
    Black & White Polish
    Black Crevecoeurs - bantams (females only & some crosses with Polish)
    Frizzles Cochins (Bantam)
    Cochins (roos only)
    d'Anver (one little roo)
    Cornish Crosses

I'm sure I've left someone off the list.

Now, take that list and add dozens of crosses and mix breeds and you'll have an idea of what our farm looks like. The pure breeds go in breeding pens for short periods so that I can hatch/sell chicks and eggs (and are later released) but everyone else free ranges all the time and co-mingles to their hearts desire. Every so often I round up the eggs in the hen house and hatch my little "Barynard Mixes" to use as layers.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  10. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    I have 4 silver laced/blr wyandottes, 3 cochin, 6 mille fleur d'uccle, 10 mixed breeds (EE & ?), 2 barred rock, 1 cuckoo maran, 2 white rock, 2 orpingtons (1 is blue and one lavender?).

I hope to have one or two of a bunch of breeds because I love a colorful and diverse flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by