How many duck eggs did you get today?

Pics
May I ask what happened to your runner?
Unfortunately she was snatched up by a bobcat.
So sorry to hear about your Runner. I hope you can hatch some more out if you want more. I need to downsize before winter comes again. I am up to 20 and that is past my limit for carrying water to in the winter time. Good luck with your decision.
Thank you for your condolences <3 I think we are going to hold off on more. Looks like we may be moving out of state soon, and we can't take our ducks, geese, and turkeys.

Unfortunately she was snatched up by a bobcat.

Thank you for your condolences <3 I think we are going to hold off on more. Looks like we may be moving out of state soon, and we can't take our ducks, geese, and turkeys.
You are most welcome and good luck in rehoming your remaining flock.

Can I account the 4 in the snake?
IMG_5230.jpg

Wow, what type is that? I saw a large garter snake in my backyard last year and wondered if they can eat duck eggs? I am glad that you saw that one.
Its a rat snake. Hangs around the coop and mostly eats rats and mice. She will take an occasional egg but I've never seen her eat more than one. She was just finishing off number 4 this morning. How she gets them down that tiny head is amazing to watch. This is a good snake but a little piggy this morning. She probably won't need to eat again for a while.

Its a rat snake. Hangs around the coop and mostly eats rats and mice. She will take an occasional egg but I've never seen her eat more than one. She was just finishing off number 4 this morning. How she gets them down that tiny head is amazing to watch. This is a good snake but a little piggy this morning. She probably won't need to eat again for a while.
I suggest taking a a needle and injecting an egg with hot sauce. That way it would discourage the snake from eating eggs but not kill it. I bet its a while before it eats eggs again anyway.

Thanks for the info. Has she ever tried to get any chicks or ducklings or won't she bother with that? Maybe you have never had any young ones where she could be tempted? We caught a large one one time in the road and got it to safety. I know they can be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom