How many duck eggs did you get today?

Pics
Hormone implants? tell me more!
You got it!

My Welshie, Marmalade, started laying internally. I caught it pretty early because I noticed she wasn't walking quite as briskly as her sisters and saw that her abdomen was distended. I took her to the vet who drained a bunch of egg material from her. Fortunately, there was no sign of infection.

The vet said that she needed antibiotics to keep infection from setting in and either surgery to spay her, the hormone implants, or , if I didn't want to pursue the other options, euthanasia. Euthanasia was off the table if there were viable options available. The surgery is super risky. So I opted for the implants. She required 2 because the implants are designed for house birds.

The vet injected one in each of Marmalade's "hips." Took about 5 minutes. The implants take about 2 weeks to fully stop the laying. I brought Marmalade in one more time to drain any remaining fluid. And she's been great ever since! She will need implants every 6 months. It's about $500 a pop, but I'm ok with that, especially because Marmalade made a 100% recovery after such a simple procedure.

Edited to add Marmalade:
20210923_204955.jpg

1, and I am very happy about it. My Khaki Campbell used to lay all winter long. But, now that she is 5 1/2 years old, she grows new feathers and takes the winter off. My crested Silver Swedish and my Welsh-Khaki mix both have also molted and are again taking the winter off. But, my six month old Swedish x Khaki-Appleyard mix decided to start laying 2 weeks ago :celebrate. Her eggs are still small but I am hoping she continues to lay all winter. I really do not want to have to buy chicken eggs like last year. We really are partial to our fresh duck eggs. This is her:
IMG_0491.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom