How many duck eggs did you get today?

Pics
Our silkies are finally starting to lay. They are tiny to start but we hope they get a bit bigger. :celebrate
37592.jpeg

Only 9 today. The K/C is determined to brood but I know the drake would kill anything that hatched. I may let the Runner sit and try to brood in the other flock. The drake is younger and may tolerate ducklings. We had a short but nice visit with @Magnolia Ducks today. I hope her husband does not ban us from visiting anymore because we brought her some blue hatching eggs.

Only 9 today. The K/C is determined to brood but I know the drake would kill anything that hatched. I may let the Runner sit and try to brood in the other flock. The drake is younger and may tolerate ducklings. We had a short but nice visit with @Magnolia Ducks today. I hope her husband does not ban us from visiting anymore because we brought her some blue hatching eggs.
If you are wanting ducklings I would find a way to separate your broody hen from the rest of the flock. I gave mine a whole section of my large pen and she and her 4 ducklings are doing great. I would never trust the rest of the flock around the ducklings. Drakes will sometimes kill the ducklings so that they can mate the Hen again. Good luck with your decision. I have let hens hatch out many ducklings but only once were they not separated from the other ducks. It was years ago when I only had Muscovy Ducks. There was another Hen and a Drake in with the Hen and her ducklings and all went fine. I was fortunate as I did not know back then things could have turned out differently.

10 today and the K/C is still broody after all eggs taken and all straw cleaned out. The runner is now full broody sitting on 5 eggs. She does not get off the nest until I go in the coop. I may have to divide the coop and let her in the back pen .

Back
Top Bottom