How many duck eggs did you get today?

Pics
Did you candle is that how you know they are alive?
No she does not want me touching the nest and if I do she will stomp her feet to warn the babies and might trample them. When she shifted her body on the eggs today one that started out perfectly white was dark inside so I know it has to have a baby in it. I have no way of knowing if it is alive or not but she is not budging and I am guessing she knows it is. When I hatched eggs out in the house they turned dark just like that one when the baby was just about ready to come out.

If anyone is looking for great duck layers, we have Anconas who started laying around 4 months and consistently lay every day! We also have a Pekin we rescued, she only lays a few times a week.

We don’t induce egg-laying in our ducks so they’ll drop off during the winter, especially since it gets so cold here (-30° wind chill this Christmas!). But they started back up around February/March and we’ve been getting eggs daily since.

HIGHLY reccomend Anconas to anyone wanting a great duck. Extremely hardy, mature quickly, great layers, and beautiful! We don’t eat our ducks but I’ve heard they make great meat birds too.

I got 6 eggs today. One was in water so it got pitched. They are all fertile right now and my Muscovy has finally given up on trying to hatch any as she knows I will take them from her. My eggs under Momma Mallard Spice that were left ended up being duds so I pitched them so she can take care of her 4 babies.

I generally get three like clockwork from my three WH hens. Today was weird I saw one egg far from the others, and when I went back to check, it must have cracked or something because it was all eaten inside. :/

But then I uncover the eggs from the hut floor, and I got this!
20230514_205401.jpg

Monster egg! Along with the usual third egg, which seemed a little on the small side, especially by comparison. Usually they are all fairly consistent, like slightly larger than my biggest chicken eggs, but this size difference was tremendous!

They are coming up to a year old end of June, so I'm wondering if this is more like the mature egg size I can expect?

I got 5 eggs today and my other Mallard Sugar was sitting on a nest she made while trying to lay hers. Her Mate Ducky was standing guard but did nothing when I entered the enclosure they were both in. She is the female that flew out of the are I had penned off and let her Sister hatch out her 4 babies. She thinks now she will have some more. Boy is she ever wrong!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom