1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many duck eggs should I use? Help please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gloria, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I am using duck eggs for baking for the first time. My recipe calls for 3 eggs. So should I use 3 duck eggs or just 2? Also the first one I cracked open was a double yolker. Should I count that as 2 or add another one? And hope it's not another double yolker!
    Thanks all for your help. [​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would use 2 duck eggs to replace 3 chicken eggs.

Now, as for double yolker...how much WHITE was in there?

3. Gloria

Quote:I was just thinking I should have put that little fact in there too. There isn't much white at all. These are her first eggs so I was kind of watching for the double.

4. Gloria

Should I put another one in there? Also should I count this as just one or two? The next one might be a double too as they are her first eggs. If it is should I take one out or just leave it in there?

Edited to add...Yep, I cracked another one open and it's a double too. It has a line in the middle where it should be separated but it's not it's all one yolk! Is that normal?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Count the double yolker as 1 egg. Replace 3 large chicken eggs with the 3 large duck eggs. You won't believe the rise you get when baing with duck eggs.

The only time I have reduced the number of duck eggs to chicken eggs in baking is for the old fashioned pound cake. It calls for 10 eggs but I use 12. For the duck egg exchange I used 8. The cake was fabulous.

6. Gloria

Now I have 2 double yolkers in my measureing cup! Should I add another one? I'll probably end up with 6 yolks! I only wanted 3 eggs for pete's sake. Silly duck!

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If it were me I would use the 3 eggs with double yolks.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Maybe you should send Miss Prissy and I samples of your finished food...just to make sure it is ok...LOL

(Relax, I think you will be fine even with the extra yolks. I play around with egg amounts all the time....well I used to when I ate baked goods. It usually worked better to err on the side of extra eggs.)

9. Gloria

Ohhh good grief! I cracked open the 3rd egg and now I have 6 yolks in there!! [​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Use them. Eat cake this evening and sigh over how rich and good it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by