How many Eggs are you getting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bstead24, Sep 19, 2012.

1. bstead24

bstead24 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    I have 6 RIR Hens.. They just started laying about a month ago and my biggest day was 3 eggs lol sad huh :p ....Now that we are having shorter days here in Michigan I am getting 1 egg every other day... Thinking Im gonna set them up with with some light with a timer soon... How many are you getting?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Light won't affect your girls since they are that young. Usually light only applies to chickens in their second year. IE: Chickens hatched spring 2011 will slow this year without 14-16 hours of light.

I don't add extra light. I like them to save their energy for keeping warm. Plus it helps keep them laying for a longer period of time. I am attached to some of my birds, and want them around and being productive for many seasons.

If I told you how many birds I have, and how many eggs I'm getting it would seem absurd. I have a lot of young chickens, so they shouldn't count in the # - but the total adult birds that have laid, and could lay on a daily basis is a number I haven't calculated yet. I have over 150 chickens, and get 5 eggs a day on one end and 7 in the other pen. 12 eggs a day is my best right now lol.

3. bstead24

bstead24 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Thanks for the lighting tip.... I didnt really think about saving energy for staying warm... I bet ya got alot in the summer month tho lol

4. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Im getting 5 eggs for 5 hens 6 days/week....occasionally ill get 4 one day. i have 2 RIR, 3 BR. theyre 23 weeks old right now

5. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    We started getting eggs a month ago also and were only getting two a day until less than a week ago. We got 5 eggs yesterday and it's killing me to not know who is laying, I had surgery and can't get outside to see who is in and out of the boxes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by