How many eggs can a broody bantam hatch?

Jun 12, 2022
Southern California Mountains
How many eggs can a broody bantam frizzle Cochin hatch? I want to purchase some true Ameraucana eggs of different colors and I’m wondering how many eggs and chicks a broody bantam could incubate and raise? I’m planning on her doing it over this summer because we get nights into the high 20’s/low 30’s until June. I have a bantam frizzle Cochin who is broody all summer long so she can finally have her dream of being a mom this year lol. Also just wondering if her frizzled feathers will also limit the amount of eggs that she can incubate? Thanks!

If the eggs you get are shipped, they will likely have to be incubated in an incubator. Due to the displaced air cell.
I would have to get them shipped. Any chance of success by letting a broody hatch shipped eggs or is it not worth it? It’s not a huge deal, I’ll just buy an incubator if I have to. It would definitely be nicer if I could have a hen raise them though.

You can try, if they don't have displaced air cells. If they do, they will struggle to hatch under a hen.
I think I’ll give it a go… she is honestly broody starting at the beginning of spring to the beginning of fall (I break her then she’ll go broody again a couple of weeks later and the cycle continues) so I want to let her hatch out some eggs and I want some more true Ameraucana colors that I can’t find locally. I’ll be sure to check the air cells before hand.

I think I’ll give it a go… she is honestly broody starting at the beginning of spring to the beginning of fall (I break her then she’ll go broody again a couple of weeks later and the cycle continues) so I want to let her hatch out some eggs and I want some more true Ameraucana colors that I can’t find locally. I’ll be sure to check the air cells before hand.
I have a hen who does the same thing, except, she’s a sexlink lol. A breed that does not go broody.

how is it going?
I'm getting my shipped eggs tomorrow, my plan is eggs with good air cells go under my 2/3 broody hens and bad air cells will go in incubator.
lets see how it goes!

how is it going?
I'm getting my shipped eggs tomorrow, my plan is eggs with good air cells go under my 2/3 broody hens and bad air cells will go in incubator.
lets see how it goes!
It’s going great! I actually stuck 8 standard sized Ameraucana eggs under her. I ordered 6, got 8. I only had one broody and no incubator and thought why not give it a go… well all 8 are showing signs of development, it’s now day 6!

How many eggs can a broody bantam frizzle Cochin hatch? I want to purchase some true Ameraucana eggs of different colors and I’m wondering how many eggs and chicks a broody bantam could incubate and raise? I’m planning on her doing it over this summer because we get nights into the high 20’s/low 30’s until June. I have a bantam frizzle Cochin who is broody all summer long so she can finally have her dream of being a mom this year lol. Also just wondering if her frizzled feathers will also limit the amount of eggs that she can incubate? Thanks!

This bantam hen was sitting on a pile of over twenty.
I let her have twelve. She hatched ten. Two weren't fertile.
It depends on the nest. A human built nest box isn't likely to allow the hen to hatch the maximum number. A nest built by a hen in the ground is a different matter.
However, how many they can hatch isn't the issue. It's how many they can adequately care for once the eggs have hatched.
Six is a good clutch number. If half fail then at least the mum will have thee chicks to care for.
If the hen hatches more than four she's going to have trouble feeding them and keeping them warm under her wings. It's also a source of major stress when a hen hatches more than she can naturally care for. What tends to happen with semi feral hens, which is what the hen in the picture was, is the weaker chicks can't compete for food and warmth and die.
cheepie-and-the-troupe-jpg.1489904

Back
Top Bottom