How many eggs can a quail lay a day?

Great! I thought I was either going nuts of someone was messing with me. [though WHO that could be?] Anyhow I cleaned out a cage and started over with one fighting male in it. They fought so hard the bird lost an eye. Now, I found three eggs from "him" Not only has this surprised me but THREE eggs?
I can't believe it. So now I don't know if it was a female fighting with this hen or a male.

Hi!

I have 4 lovely coturnix quail hens who live with their 2 roos. Although, it seems like they are laying 5-6 eggs a day. Is this possible for a quail to lay more than one egg a day?

big_smile.png
Thanks
I’ve had a very broody coturnix hen give me 2 not everyday but every 3 or so days she would lay very early morning and early afternoon like 7 in the morning and 7 at night it was crazy to see but normally it’s only one a day

Hi, first time quail owner here.

I have two lovely female cortunix and every few days, one of them will lay two eggs, but one of the egg will be translucent...? It happened today, there was an egg at about 5pm, and at 11pm, i saw 2 eggs, and one of them is the translucent egg. It looks like it is without a shell, and it's quite squishy. I do not know which hen laid the double eggs though. They are about 2 and a half months old and I've got 3 of those squishy eggs so far. I'm not sure which quail is laying the double eggs and i don't know why she would double lay an egg that doesn't seem like its "ready". I give them crushed chicken egg shells as i haven't been able to get oyster shells. I tried clam shells but they weren't eating it. They are on quail feed that i got them since they were young, it's not finished yet and i don't think there's anything causing them stress (no predators/pets/moving).

Should i be worried or is it normal for them to lay squishy unready eggs like this?

Squishy eggs are usually a calcium issue, if she is repeatedly laying two eggs in one day there shouldn't be much of a surprise that the second egg wouldn't be full formed. I had two girls last year who did the same and would lay a perfect egg in the morning and not fully formed egg in the evening about once a week. Around 4 months of age they just stopped, not entirely sure why honestly lol.

Laying patterns can be affected a lot by day/night cycles, if you use lights or keep them inside at night do you maintain a continuous schedule? If she continues to lay perfect eggs most of the time and doesn't seem affected by it then I wouldn't be too worried.

Ohhh! I see i see. We keep them in at night but its not covered. Now that you've mentioned it, im wondering if the lights going on and off in other parts of the house throughout the night is shedding slivers of light into their cage and is affecting their laying schedule.

I recently started completely covering our cages from 10pm until 7am to reduce crowing but it's actually not just accomplished that it has greatly improved the amount of eggs we are receiving! Could be a coincidence but I think it is working.

Oooo, thats nice! I will give it a shot too and try to fix a more consistent lighting schedule for them and see if it helps my ladies as well. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom