how many eggs can my broody hen sit on and hatch?

SqueakyRoseShalom

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Hello All! I want to maximize my hatch using my broody hen. How many eggs can I put under her for her to hatch? She's a sex link, about the same size as my black australorp. Thanks!!!

One of the first things some folks think of in wanting to maximize their hatch is to put more eggs under a hen when, in fact, it is often better to put fewer eggs. If a smaller percent of a larger clutch hatch as opposed to a larger percent of the smaller hatch, "more" eggs didn't result in more chicks. *I* would put no more than 10 under her. I have had hens sneak off and set clutches larger and hatch more than 10 chicks successfully, but more isn't always better.

Hello All!  I want to maximize my hatch using my broody hen.  How many eggs can I put under her for her to hatch?  She's a sex link, about the same size as my black australorp.   Thanks!!!

How many eggs a hen can brood depends on the size of the hen and the size of the eggs to be brooded. 12 to 15 is what I consider the maximum. I try to stay with 12 eggs or less depending... With less eggs you can be assured that ALL the eggs are being kept at the right temperature. With more eggs you take the chance that not all the eggs are being covered adequately. And if that should happen different eggs will be chilled each day and die. In the end you may end up with less chicks. Fewer eggs is better.

Back
Top Bottom