How many eggs can she sit on?

lillypurrs23

Songster
9 Years
Sep 6, 2010
Our Cuckoo Maran, Alice, is broody, so today we got our fertile eggs in the mail because we're going to have her hatch them. We got a dozen, plus an extra egg was sent. I was wondering how many eggs she would be able to sit on- she's a Meyer Hatchery chicken, and i've heard people say they are undersized, but i'm not sure. The eggs we got are 3 Black copper maran eggs, 3 Silver penciled rock eggs, 3 light sussex eggs, & 4 blue laced red wyandotte eggs. They're pretty good sized eggs, I would say. She is sitting on 6 of them right now, and we've been researching how many she should be able to sit on and keep them all warm. Here are a couple pictures of her, so you can see her size, the second one is for comparison to a person xP (Although don't compare her to my hand, because my hands are small)
Also, she's a pretty light chicken, she is about 7 months old. (If not, then a few weeks older)
Please no comments saying that she can't hatch them because it's winter, or she's too young or something, because the coop is heated & she is very dedicated, we've seen her turn the eggs and all that.

I have a hatchery partridge rock and she laid, hid, and was sitting on 1 dozen eggs before we found her hiding spot. NAUGHTY girl!

So, a dozen is do able....

All right, I think we'll possibly start out with 8 for now, but if we do put a dozen under her, we'd end up putting the extra one, also.

Back
Top Bottom