BrahmaMama5

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2023
We have a sweet Brahma hen, Clover. She is under a year old, but was injured pretty badly. Her feathers, skin, etc. were completely ripped off at the top of her back, covered by her feathers on her head. We brought her inside our huge laundry room & have 3 dog cages all together to give her plenty of room. She's thriving now! Skin and feathers coming back beautifully without any infections, and we're waiting to put her back until she's 110% better.

The night of October 16, she came in after the injury. About a week later, she seemed a little distressed when I gathered her eggs. I paid close attention when I took another one the next morning. She seemed to be a bit lonely or maybe broody, so I've let her keep all of her eggs now. She starting keeping eggs mid-way through week 2 and all of week 3. We're about to start week 4 of her healing inside. She now has 6 eggs that she sits on frequently and 1 that she rolled away to the other side of a kennel. Either way, the eggs seem to be helping her feel better. We're hoping to reintroduce Clover to our tiny flock soon, but likely with an apron so our rooster Hoss won't tear out any of those new feathers!

So... Is it possible that those eggs are fertilized after all this time? Could we be accidentally becoming grandparents to new baby chicks? Because if so, I've got more questions. 😳 Would she know if they all have chicks, and that's why she pushed the other egg away? Could we actually have 6 more chicks?!? If we even have 1, is it better to just keep Clover with them until they are ready to start being introduced to the flock too? While I had chickens growing up, we didn't really grow them from chicks, so my baby chicken skills only come from getting our babies this year! Thank you im advance! Y'all are way better than Google! 😂

We have a sweet Brahma hen, Clover. She is under a year old, but was injured pretty badly. Her feathers, skin, etc. were completely ripped off at the top of her back, covered by her feathers on her head. We brought her inside our huge laundry room & have 3 dog cages all together to give her plenty of room. She's thriving now! Skin and feathers coming back beautifully without any infections, and we're waiting to put her back until she's 110% better.

The night of October 16, she came in after the injury. About a week later, she seemed a little distressed when I gathered her eggs. I paid close attention when I took another one the next morning. She seemed to be a bit lonely or maybe broody, so I've let her keep all of her eggs now. She starting keeping eggs mid-way through week 2 and all of week 3. We're about to start week 4 of her healing inside. She now has 6 eggs that she sits on frequently and 1 that she rolled away to the other side of a kennel. Either way, the eggs seem to be helping her feel better. We're hoping to reintroduce Clover to our tiny flock soon, but likely with an apron so our rooster Hoss won't tear out any of those new feathers!

So... Is it possible that those eggs are fertilized after all this time? Could we be accidentally becoming grandparents to new baby chicks? Because if so, I've got more questions. 😳 Would she know if they all have chicks, and that's why she pushed the other egg away? Could we actually have 6 more chicks?!? If we even have 1, is it better to just keep Clover with them until they are ready to start being introduced to the flock too? While I had chickens growing up, we didn't really grow them from chicks, so my baby chicken skills only come from getting our babies this year! Thank you im advance! Y'all are way better than Google! 😂
Awww, poor Clover is lucky. What attacked her?
Can you candle her eggs in a dark room and post pics? If they're past day 4 it should be easy to tell. Brahmas have lighter eggs too.
It's possible, though not very likely that they're fertile.

They don't really know, no. Once they get into the later stages they can, but I have hens throw out eggs all the time that are just fine, I can usually save them and have them hatch though. The hens are just goofy sometimes. Is she sitting on them all the time and turning them and such? Does she sleep on them all night?

Back
Top Bottom