How many eggs can you expect when hens first start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happytexasmom, Sep 2, 2009.

1. happytexasmom

happytexasmom New Egg

Apr 18, 2009
    We got our first egg 8 days ago from one of our 18 week old white rock hens. She laid three eggs in about 4 days and it has been 5 days since then, and no more eggs! What can this mean? Is it normal? Could there be some problem? We are so new at this! This is our first flock. Wondering alos why the other hens/pullets aren't laying yet... Any advice would be sooo helpful!Thanks!

2. dldavis34

dldavis34 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Montrose, CO
    I am really not sure. I have 12 white rock hens and just got our very first egg today and they are 20 weeks old. I hope that they all start laying soon. I heard that sometimes they will lay their first egg and then take a break for a while but I am not sure if that is true or normal. Soon you'll have more eggs than you know what to do with![​IMG]

3. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I feel very lucky. Once mine started laying they never let up. Everyone lays about every day. I am truly blessed.

4. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    We started getting our first eggs at around 16 weeks (We have 9 hens, 2 Chochins, 2 Australorpes, 2 Speckeled Sussex, 2 EE's, 1 Dominiqe) The Chochins were the last to lay about two weeks ago. Started getting one or two eggs a day, then the count increased of and on. We get from 4 to 8 eggs a day, the average being 6 eggs a day. But today we got 9 eggs.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Most of mine have been laying for 6 weeks. I have 6 pullets and I get anywhere from 4-6 eggs a day.

6. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

Quote:you are lucky ! i wish i was , darn i went from 4 eggs a day to 1 maybe 1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by