How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Thankfully we don't get more than a flurry from lake effect since we're pretty far away. They just tend to prevent the cold air from arriving here as cold as it is on the plains of Canada and the central US. Mt. Washington claims "world's worst weather," and I suppose it's a point of pride if you live here... especially for a weather nerd like myself
big_smile.png
. The caveat is that no one actually lives there... it's just the people who man the observatory year-round. I think the record wind there is either 232 or 234 mph and I believe all the buildings are chained to the ground, or granite, as it were. I'm certainly glad it doesn't feel like -80 here, but it's cold enough! If I wanted to get rid of any more from that snow storm I'd have to use an ice pick at this point.

Oh, and 3 eggs this AM so far and they're all cold as ice but not cracked.
I'm a weather nerd too....
hugs.gif

That Mount Wa special was really interesting. It is also a tourist attraction right? People like to go there and get blown around then brag that they were there?

You live in just the right spot then...lucky you!!!

It's 50 degrees here today....water everywhere......melt melt melt.....no pick ax needed, maybe I'll be sending this weather east, let me know if it arrives.

I'm a weather nerd too....
hugs.gif

That Mount Wa special was really interesting. It is also a tourist attraction right? People like to go there and get blown around then brag that they were there?

You live in just the right spot then...lucky you!!!

It's 50 degrees here today....water everywhere......melt melt melt.....no pick ax needed, maybe I'll be sending this weather east, let me know if it arrives.

It is a tourist attraction... there's an auto road and a railroad that essentially goes straight up the mountain... or as close as the laws of physics allow. It's also a great day hike (a long one) if you feel like refreshing temps in the depths of summer since the all-time record high up on top is 72 degrees. Definitely not as high as western mountains but the weather makes up for it.

I don't see anything higher than 25 in the 10 day forecast and I don't expect 50 again before I tap the maples for the year, but I'll keep you posted. If I find someone to watch my toddler I may sneak away for some XC skiing since I haven't been yet this year.
cool.png
Enjoy your thaw!

We bought a house on top of a hill, and the whole property is on rocky glacial till that drains really quickly when it isn't frozen. Problem is that the ground was frozen all last week, and then it rained over four inches and the water just sat on the top. It warmed up to 50 today and FINALLY quit raining. It is a swampy mess outside, but the barn is mostly dry and the chicken coop is cozy. It looks like things will start to get better tomorrow.

About 15 years ago I lived near Spoken. LOVED the weather, but couldn't stand the ground being frozen for 6 months of the year. I think my next move might be California LOL
We are on Mount Spokane, on a ridge, anywhere I dig, as soon as I get 2 feet down, I hit solid granite! It is so mushy, sloppy and wet out! At least, because I live on a ridge, the water eventually runs downhill like yours does!

It is 50 degrees today, how about you? California sounds so nice right now.............
celebrate.gif

My 8 Rhode Island Reds ( production reds ) give me on average 7 to 8 eggs a day. I have a light in the coop that comes on at 4am which gives them the effect of long days which I understand are important for egg production.

I live in central Texas and don't have very much severe cold in the winter, and long hot days in the summer. That's the only two seasons we have here. Seems like.

thanks, ( twooldcrows) Don

My  8 Rhode Island Reds ( production reds ) give me on average 7 to 8 eggs a day.  I have a light in the coop that comes on at 4am which gives them the effect of long days which I understand are important for egg production. 

I live in central Texas and don't have very much severe cold in the winter, and long hot days in the summer.  That's the only two seasons we have here. Seems like.

thanks, ( twooldcrows) Don

Are all RIR considered production reds? I'm just trying to learn and I see it worded that way sometimes. Are other breeds considered production breeds?
Thnx

Back
Top Bottom