How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Typo correction: the leghorns were NOT consistently laying for the first month I had them. An egg here and there. I had many other issues going on During that time. Those issues have been successfully resolved - thanks goodness! Now they ARE laying consistently and I’ve got the thin shells and broken egg. Shells on the 3 eggs I got today from them look good. I just checked them again - not thin. Maybe BoPeep needs a bit more time to incorporate the added calcium...?

Here is a pic of the sand floor. All those white bits are oyster shells. There are lot of big pieces too but there’s a lot of sand too!

The eggshells I feed back vary in size but the biggest pieces are still significantly smaller than a dime. Most are more like pencil eraser size. And all the other hens eat the shells and their eggshells are good, even very good.

I fed the calcium boost again tonight. Overall I think it’s a modest amount - I think it’s better to build it up gradually. Make good progress but still take it in steps.

Tomorrow is a new day!

37CCEB34-D03F-4EB0-9BA5-3159478CAEA1.jpeg

You would stop the added calcium think they are getting too much put a large dish of oyster shell you may not see one eating it may do it without you there but do not give no more extra please may be the crux of it

You would stop the added calcium think they are getting too much put a large dish of oyster shell you may not see one eating it may do it without you there but do not give no more extra please may be the crux of it
I appreciate your concern and comments. I’m not sure I understand them though. The broken egg a day and thin shells for the 3 leghorns has been going on for over a week, probably closer to 2 weeks. I gave extra shell the last 2 days. I don’t see how that could have caused the already week plus old problem.

In any case no broken egg today. I also didn’t give the extra shell this morning. A hen died last night and we were dealing with that this morning.

The leghorns had issues when I got them May 1. They are actually looking a lot better, feathering in, and are now laying consistently. The thin shells may be a hang over thing and they need time to ramp up. I still don’t think a little extra calcium for a few days is a health hazard.

Out of my gals I am getting anywhere from 6 to 14 a day. Several of mine are older birds so I doubt they lay consistently.

I am hoping to see blue and green eggs soon. My green and blue layers from Hoover's are getting redder and redder each day. They are starting to mellow out a bit too.

Back
Top Bottom