How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

I’ve been getting 2 or three out of 5 every day. All from red sex links. The Faverolles has been doing a sneaky molt and the poor leghorn is doing an ugly molt. No bald patches fortunately but her comb is shriveled and bent over, she has no tail and you can see big shafts on her wings that look really strange! Her head and neck are so full of pin feathers that she looks like she has gray hair. It won’t be long and she’ll be back to super model status in the coop!

Let me preface this by saying that we are newbie chicken owners. Our 9 girls and 1 boy (all Buff Orpingtons) are about 6 months old. We've been looking thru the coop each day to check for an egg. This afternoon I spotted one egg nestled in the shavings. I was so excited that I immediately took a picture & shared it with family & friends. Little did I realize that mere minutes later, I would need to send another picture. I was cleaning the waterer when something (or rather some things) caught my eye, a clutch of eggs. 15 to be exact! All the eggs were tucked in under the nesting boxes. The nesting boxes have 2 fake eggs in them. Apparently, under the boxes is better than the boxes themselves. We did lay a 2x6 as a means to walk up to the nesting boxes. I think we need to put slats on it to help them get up there. If you have a suggestion, I’m happy to hear it. I read that some folks put a "curtain' in front of them to provide privacy. I can easily do that via staples and some fabric from my stash. I’m just glad I happen to spot the eggs! :woot

Attachments

• 20211021_144646.jpg
    20211021_144646.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PSX_20210818_221118.jpg
    PSX_20210818_221118.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 2
Let me preface this by saying that we are newbie chicken owners. Our 9 girls and 1 boy (all Buff Orpingtons) are about 6 months old. We've been looking thru the coop each day to check for an egg. This afternoon I spotted one egg nestled in the shavings. I was so excited that I immediately took a picture & shared it with family & friends. Little did I realize that mere minutes later, I would need to send another picture. I was cleaning the waterer when something (or rather some things) caught my eye, a clutch of eggs. 15 to be exact! All the eggs were tucked in under the nesting boxes. The nesting boxes have 2 fake eggs in them. Apparently, under the boxes is better than the boxes themselves. We did lay a 2x6 as a means to walk up to the nesting boxes. I think we need to put slats on it to help them get up there. If you have a suggestion, I’m happy to hear it. I read that some folks put a "curtain' in front of them to provide privacy. I can easily do that via staples and some fabric from my stash. I’m just glad I happen to spot the eggs! :woot
Curtains might help, and maybe block their access under the nest boxes. :)
Congratulations on your first eggs! :love

Back
Top Bottom