today 40 out of 55
Man you got alot of chickens!
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

well we are off and running... so to speak. We got 3 eggs for the first time out of 5 hens. was so exciting, just like christmas!

7/8 today so far, looks like Snow is taking the day off. We only had two days where one of the girls took a day off all week!! Wow I thought witht the shorter days and cooler nights they might slow up a bit, but they are pretty new to laying......On Fire!!!

**update** make that 8/7...found another egg, weird though it is for sure not snow? so somebody layed twice??

Last edited:
TWO! And I'm also equally excited as the day I got my first!

I have a Buff Orpington and Welsummer that are just about to be 27 weeks old, an EE who is 26 weeks old, and a Black Australorp, Rhode Island Red and White Plymouth Rock that are just about to be 22 weeks old (well, the White Rock turned out to be a roo, which is another story I love).

Anyhow, my EE started laying four weeks ago, and I've been frustrated that no one else followed suit! Try as I might to be patient, because I know each hen starts laying at different times, it's been tough to read threads about people with hens laying at 19-20 weeks.

So, I came home briefly at lunch and was sitting in my office when I hear what was clearly a very loud "egg song!" I've never heard Neko, the EE, sing about an egg, so I jumped up and looked out the window and Patty, the BO, was walking around the yard singing! I hauled *** outside and watched her sit in a corner of the yard, looking as if to lay!! I was pumped! I went back inside to watch her from a window, when no sooner did she start bok-bok-bok-bok-BKAAAWKing around the yard again. So, for fear of unsettling her, I ran back out and scooped her up and put her in the coop. Fortunately, everyone else followed us in the run, so I was able to lock everyone else in with her, vs. just hoping she'd stay in and learn where the nesting boxes are. Unfortunately, I had to get back to the office, so I left and hoped for the best!

I got home around 7pm this evening, and was sad to see an empty next box (I'd already collected the EE egg earlier in the day). But then I went into the run and saw my first brown egg sitting next to the waterer!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I picked her up and gave her some mad love!!!!

Now I just hope she figures out where the nesting box is!!

Back
Top Bottom