How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

TEMPERATURE!

So, the injured duck layed another egg today, making it three in a row for her!

Meanwhile the eleven that are living outside layed none.

They layed a few during the warmup, but it's been cool again.

Three factors; food, light and temperature.
My ducks gave a 💩 about cold weather, they laid their eggs right into the mud where they would freeze instantly. (And crack!)
Light - yes it helped, but even during the darkest month there were some stubborn layers.
Protein rich food - definitely! I had switched to another cat-food variety for senior cats with less protein (16 instead of 22%) and the girls went on strike. They either disliked that »senior« thing or were running out of protein too quick. That one bag of food did put a dent into the egg production.

My ducks gave a 💩 about cold weather, they laid their eggs right into the mud where they would freeze instantly. (And crack!)
Light - yes it helped, but even during the darkest month there were some stubborn layers.
Protein rich food - definitely! I had switched to another cat-food variety for senior cats with less protein (16 instead of 22%) and the girls went on strike. They either disliked that »senior« thing or were running out of protein too quick. That one bag of food did put a dent into the egg production.
Only other variables are the injury or the frozen peas that the wife's feeding her.
Other than that, the outside birds layed nothing

Still no eggs from my 8 Muscovy females. Strangely they were laying 2 eggs for a couple of week during a particularly cold spell but I found them frozen and cracked in the morning. The eggs not the ducks. Now it is warming up and no eggs. I don't get it?
Broody Muscovys are both expressive in their displeasure when checking eggs, and incredibly fast with their beaks.

I‘m glad to hear that it wasn’t your ducks that were frozen and cracked! 😉

No Muscovy eggs here either. They usually wait a few more weeks, although the two new Rouen girls are laying up a storm. I don’t know if that will somehow influence my ‘Scovy hens to get started early this year. How they are resisting taking over the Rouen nest so far, I do not know.

Last edited:
Twenty eggs today! And two dino eggs - that means i have two raptors in feather-suits hidden in the flock. I suspect the two new White Layers, Fluffy and Flauschi. They recently have started to eat cat-food again out of my hand and are in heated competition with Blanca and Earthquack when it comes to food.

Got emergency called into work last night. Worked thru the night and next day, only got home a few ago. Ended up feeding chikie boo's a few hours ago, ie late PM for the day. They were NOT happy but will get over it. 3 eggs of 4. Be interesting to see if egg productivity goes down at all for this, though I kind of doubt it. One really good WHOOOZ my purty bird and tail ruffle brings the happiness level right back up :p

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom