How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Molting ?
Nope, just went broody. My ducks seem to just lay for a few weeks and then start trying to go broody and after about a week of them trying to go broody they stop laying. Hopefully they start up again soon. They don't lay very much because they aren't breeder quality or even hatchery quality, they are from feral duck stock living many generations in the wild :idunno

Nope, just went broody. My ducks seem to just lay for a few weeks and then start trying to go broody and after about a week of them trying to go broody they stop laying. Hopefully they start up again soon. They don't lay very much because they aren't breeder quality or even hatchery quality, they are from feral duck stock living many generations in the wild :idunno

Mine are the same, and they are bred from domesticated ducks. Only one of my two Muscovy hens is laying currently, and they took a break from October onwards. It’s how Muscovy roll, lay to hatch, raise the ducklings, then start over after resting a bit. I’m convinced that the low number of eggs puts less stress on their body, leading to longer and healthier lives.

Even during their first laying season, my pied hen went broody with her first clutch and remained broody for the entire summer, even on an empty nest. Last year, I was able to manage the broodiness a little bit better...

Bandits great grandchildren

Attachments

• Attachment(2).jpeg
    Attachment(2).jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Attachment(3).jpeg
    Attachment(3).jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Attachment(1).jpeg
    Attachment(1).jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2
I have a confession. I didn't get ANY eggs for months, and couldn't understand why. My girls were all healthy, so I just chalked that up to winter.

What I did do, was alter the barn lighting. I felt sorry for the ducks being plunged into darkness, so I would wake up in the middle of the night and remotely turn on their overhead lights.

My DH caught me doing this a few days ago, and said would I like to sleep with the light on?

So, the day after I stopped turning on the light in the middle of the night, I got 4 EGGS! Every day now I'm getting quite a few. Lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom