How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

7 duck eggs from my 8 Muscovy ladies. Also getting 9 - 11 chicken eggs. Here we are not allowed to donate them to food banks without a lot of paperwork. Luckily I have a buyer who will take as many as I can provide. Don't actually like duck eggs except for baking.
Now waiting for the peahens to start laying. They are lousy egg protectors so I take their eggs and sneak them under the ducks. Works well as long as I take the egg back as soon as there is any sign of hatching, and I finish the hatching in my oven. Low tech but it works.

7 duck eggs from my 8 Muscovy ladies. Also getting 9 - 11 chicken eggs. Here we are not allowed to donate them to food banks without a lot of paperwork. Luckily I have a buyer who will take as many as I can provide. Don't actually like duck eggs e:barnie
xcept for baking.
Now waiting for the peahens to start laying. They are lousy egg protectors so I take their eggs and sneak them under the ducks. Works well as long as I take the egg back as soon as there is any sign of hatching, and I finish the hatching in my oven. Low tech but it works.
In the oven :th

Came from TSC in the livestock feed area, i drilled holes in the bottom so it doesn’t fill with water. My 8 lb Pekins would look awfully funny climbing into it😂
Different story for a 4lb White Layer. I have carried Blanca Duck more than once, standing in the duck supper-bowl from the patio stairs into the duck house while she was filling herself to the brim.

7 duck eggs from my 8 Muscovy ladies. Also getting 9 - 11 chicken eggs. Here we are not allowed to donate them to food banks without a lot of paperwork. Luckily I have a buyer who will take as many as I can provide. Don't actually like duck eggs except for baking.
Just out of curiosity: What would happen should a pea-chick actually hatch under a duck?

Another 22 eggs today, which brings the total for this month to 270 eggs.
Sold 10 dozen to the Asian-supermarket today, when i stood in the door again with my cooler after just seven days the shop's owner turned pale… 😁 He asked me how many eggs the ducks lay per day and when i told him "about two dozen" he went even paler. 😇
Guess it is high time that i finish my new »Dux Ex 4 sale« sign!
I just hate to dig pole holes here… 😰💦

Just out of curiosity: What would happen should a pea-chick actually hatch under a duck?
The first time I tried putting peafowl eggs under Muscovy ducks was a learning experience. When I opened the coop there was one peachick dead in the middle of the coop, and another one being tossed around by the ducks. It didn't make it.
Now I keep careful watch around expected hatch day. As soon as there is a crack/hole in the egg, I remove it from the nest. I put the egg on a towel in the oven near the oven light which I have turned on. I spritz it with warm water ever 30 minutes. After it is completely hatched, I move the chick under a heat lamp in mini pen in spare bedroom.
1618315735908.png

The first time I tried putting peafowl eggs under Muscovy ducks was a learning experience. When I opened the coop there was one peachick dead in the middle of the coop, and another one being tossed around by the ducks. It didn't make it.
Now I keep careful watch around expected hatch day. As soon as there is a crack/hole in the egg, I remove it from the nest. I put the egg on a towel in the oven near the oven light which I have turned on. I spritz it with warm water ever 30 minutes. After it is completely hatched, I move the chick under a heat lamp in mini pen in spare bedroom.
View attachment 2613923
So in other words: (Muscovy) ducks have no motherly feelings for other bird species chicks. (?) That is surprising, but would explain why there are so many stories out there about chickens hatching ducklings, peafowl, guineas, … and lo stories about a mother duck raising chickens.

Back
Top Bottom