How many eggs do hens usually sit on?

modenacart

Songster
12 Years
Jan 21, 2008
New Bern, NC
One of our hens went broody and someone gave us nine fertilized eggs for her to sit on. Today three of them were out of the nest box. Are there too many in there for her to sit on? How many do they usually sit on?

Also, our other hens have slowed production since she went broody. We were getting about five a day from our six hens. Now we are lucky to get three. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Whats normal? These are living things; you'll find variance.

Most hens sit well on 10-13 eggs. Of course, some people will shove 20 eggs under there and there is always the hen that manages to get as many herself. But 13 has always been considered the norm.

Chickens are easily upset in their laying and this is worse in small flocks. It could be the cycle timing coincided, so that today there are only three. It could be her being broody, why not?
It could be the neighbors cat has strolled by one too many times today. I dunno.

But get busy. Go out and pick them up. Examine their vents and pelvic areas to make sure there are no impacted situations or other impediments like lice or mites. I mean, anything is possible so you gotta investigate.

As for why 3 eggs are out of the nest? Hmmmm. how much overall space does she have in there? Is she isolated on the nest?

I was gonna say 12, but 13 will work too, usually if up to the hen she will sit on about twice as many as she could possibly cover, and the other hens will continue to give her thier eggs too(they dont know that thiers are not fertile).

Why the 3 were out, only the shadow knows, slip them back under her, and make a bowl in the bedding so they cant easily roll out. I would seperate her, or at least you mark the fertile eggs so you know which ones she is spose to be on?

Back
Top Bottom