How many eggs is everybody getting?

Pics
We are in the northeast/ capitol region of New York. And lately our Temps have been all over the board. This morning reaching 60°f right now snowing and 17 heading lower overnight. It's light at around 7 am and dark by 5 pm.
We have 25 girls, 3 we know don't lay but the rest are 1-1/2 yrs. old and we only get 4-8 eggs a day right now. In the warmer weather and with more natural light we tend to have 12-18 a day.
I consider us a hobby farm and like to sell the eggs as often as I can since I charge 1.00 less then the stores, their fresh and super tasty, we have quite the demand. Too bad the girlies just can't keep up. 🤪
Maybe try selling them?
Either way have fun!!
Yeah it’s more of a hobby for us too, they’ve become pets really and the eggs is just a huge bonus. For people that keep chickens we don’t actually eat many eggs 😂 but we like to give them to our neighbours, which also helps when we have roosters as they’re a bit more understanding 😆

Wasn’t sure which section to ask this in😆

Just curious and would love to know what everybody’s average temperature is right now where you are, how many hours of light your chickens are getting, and how many eggs you are getting from your chickens 🙂

I’m asking as I’m in the UK and still getting around 4 eggs a day from 6 hens I currently have, whilst the average temp is about -1°C (30F) in the day and -4°C (24F), with only 8 hours of light a day.
Surely they’ve got to slow down or even stop soon😧
We don’t even particular eat many eggs and have loads spare, I feel as though they need a break 😂
I have 26 new hens that are coming up to 6 months old. They started laying about 3-4 weeks ago. I started off with a couple eggs a day with some of them without shells and or broken. Temperature during this time was around 9 C . 'For the next couple weeks the laying numbers began to increase a bit each day off and on. Some days I would have 3 eggs and other days 8. I was told to add light since they need more light to lay so I added a light rod that gives them 8 hours of dark and 15-16 hours of light. Then the week before Christmas all heck broke loose in the weather department and we plummeted in temp to -23 C with the wind chill. They didn't go out of the coop at all due to the cold wind and then the almost 2 feet of snow fell. They were stuck in the cook for over a week without going out. I was averaging about 9-11 eggs per day during those days...some days were only 5 while other days way more. Now that the weather has warmed up to 6-9 C and with them going outside the coop to the run again, I am seeing 14-16 eggs each day with some new layers laying broken eggs or shell less eggs. I have Rhode Island Reds. Hope this helps but I think due to mine being so young and just starting out they are laying when most are not.

Wasn’t sure which section to ask this in😆

Just curious and would love to know what everybody’s average temperature is right now where you are, how many hours of light your chickens are getting, and how many eggs you are getting from your chickens 🙂

I’m asking as I’m in the UK and still getting around 4 eggs a day from 6 hens I currently have, whilst the average temp is about -1°C (30F) in the day and -4°C (24F), with only 8 hours of light a day.
Surely they’ve got to slow down or even stop soon😧
We don’t even particular eat many eggs and have loads spare, I feel as though they need a break 😂
This is something I've been practicing I give my eggs away to my neighbors and family for free just a suggestion if you have extras to spare and because the price of eggs here is outlandish so I'm just trying to help

This is something I've been practicing I give my eggs away to my neighbors and family for free just a suggestion if you have extras to spare and because the price of eggs here is outlandish so I'm just trying to help
Eight Barred Rock hens, ten months old. Zero eggs in November and December. Began getting one egg/day early January. Just started getting two eggs/daily. NE MI.

Back
Top Bottom