How many eggs per week should I expect?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ssteiner, Nov 30, 2008.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    So we lost our Buff Orpington and RIR to a dog on Thursday when they were only 7 weeks old. On Friday, we went out and bought a Cochin, a Delaware, and a Wyandotte. My question is, once the girls start laying, how many eggs per week do you experts think my family and I might expect? Thanks.

-Scott

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If those are the only three you have then you should get 2-3 per day. Chickens lay every 23-25 hours and may skip a day here and there.

3. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    It depends on the breed. My cochin is the best layer I have, but everything I read is that they are only mediocre layers. I don't know a lot about the delawares... I think they are good layers.

Hmmmm... I think I need to go get a link and come right back....

I have a sussex, a cochin, and an americauna. I get 3 eggs a day most days, then sometimes one takes a break, and every once in awhile they all take a break. It should average out to 2-3 eggs per day.

4. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    ah yes, here it is...

look up your particular breeds and you can see how well (or not) they lay. I'm a data person by trade and it annoys me that this site uses numbers (like 200 eggs/year) for some breeds and then just describes others (like moderate layer), but it should give you a decent idea of what to expect...

http://www.freewebs.com/professorchickenhasevenmorebreeds/pekins.htm

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would say about 15 per week. Mine are new layers and right now my cochin lays almost every day. My wyandotte does lay everyday. So out of the 11 hens we get 10 eggs a day [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear about your hens being attacked [​IMG] Four of mine were killed by the neighbors dog just a few months ago. ALL the Orpingtons I had [​IMG]
    Good luck with your new ones.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Agree !! Wanted to add that during the winter months chickens need 14 hours of light a day to lay good, so they might not lay as much as you would like them to or as much as they should. You could add some extra light to the coop to add up to 14 hours (dont add light 24/7) Good luck and CONGRATS on the new hens.

Sorry about lossing you babies !!! I know how sad it is (I have a chicken killer dog) [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by